Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Momzilla

Ugh. It's been one of those days.

Last night was my off night, which meant I got 9 glorious hours of straight sleep. It was pure bliss. But the second David tapped my shoulder to get up, the first thought in my head was that tonight was my on night with Noah. And that put me in a grumpy mood pretty much from the get go.

I was reading or watching (I can't even remember) something the other day (I can't even remember when) and somebody (I can't even remember who) said that their day is dependant on the day their kids are having.

I completely understood. Usually, I'm pretty positive. Within 5 minutes of getting up...

Date Night...that was it...Tina Fey's character in Date Night said it.

...Emily is whining about getting dressed for school. I close my eyes for 2 seconds and think I haven't had a sip of coffee yet, please don't do this to me. She doesn't care. The whining continues until she gets dressed. Then, she complains about not wanting to get her hair fixed and she doesn't want breakfast. And I'm sorry, but the marshmallows out of Lucky Charms does not count as breakfast. This happens every morning. We've been doing the same routine every school day for the last 8 months. It's not a surprise, yet I'm met with the same resistance every day. It can't possibly be like this every morning for the next 12 years. Can it? Don't even get me started on when she gets home from school and has to do homework.

Although, she's a lot like me with dinner. I know we have to eat it every night. I know we have meat frozen. I put it in the freezer. Yet, I still panic at 4:00 every day as to what in the world we can have for dinner especially when I haven't defrosted anything.

My daughter and I have more in common than I realized.

Back to the morning...Then, Noah starts crying. Why? God only knows. He's fine if I'm holding him. But, I can't hold him, make Ben a waffle, and fix Emily's hair before the carpool comes. Most mornings, I just want to crawl back into bed and pull the covers over my head.

But this morning was different, Emily willing got ready and asked for an egg and toast for breakfast. We had a discussion last night that she can't starve all day (she barely eats her lunch) and then come home and pack in a days worth of food in 4 hours. We went through the digestive process and her stomach turning food into nutrients and energy our body needs or fat, depending on what you choose to eat. Then, I kept going with the digestive process and she was shocked when I told her she poops out her food. I don't know what she thought poop was, but she didn't think it was the dinner she had the night before.

My point being that she didn't whine at all. Noah was still asleep and Ben, well we hardly notice Ben is there at all usually. It could have been a perfect morning, but I decided to go and ruin it with my bad mood.

Emily didn't get to see any of it, but Noah and Ben sure did. I yelled, I cried, I threw a major temper tantrum (or two). So, Noah cried more and Ben's feeling were hurt and then I ruined thier day or at least their morning.

The lesson being that they can ruin my day sometimes with a lousy attitude and I can ruin theirs by turning into Momzilla. Seriously, the thought had never occurred to me that my mood affects them as much as theirs effects mine. (Sorry I used affect and effect because I still don't know the difference.)

I'm off to sing kumbaya. And if that doesn't work I think a big cup of coffee on this rainy day and maybe 2 (okay 3) Chips Ahoy will do the trick. I almost always find my smile at the bottom of a mug of coffee.

Tonight, no matter how many times Noah wakes me up, I'm going to check my attitude at my bedroom door in the morning and make sure my kids have a better day tomorrow.

And I'll pray they do the same.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Oh Gina, I love this. I can totally relate, minus 2 kids, but yes - I can relate. Sarah knows. Jim knows. There are just those days where I forget all about my attitude and everything lets loose. Not pretty. Sarah is the same way about food - she doesn't like breakfast, never has, and doesn't eat before school. And then, lots of times she doesn't like the school lunch and doesn't eat there. So, then she snacks on all sorts of things after school and then often barely touches dinner.

Anyway, I love reading about your days and it's encouraging to me, to read that all of us Moms seem to share the same issues. ♥