Friday, April 9, 2010

Out Of Sight

When Emily finished her reading rainbow at school (letters, sounds, 3 sets of sight words), she started receiving a little red book in her backpack every day. It was homework for us to do together. We were so excited for her first book that I wrote
a post about it.

The first book was cute, fun, 8 words total and she didn't need any help. Then, they got a lot harder and those darn books just kept coming. There was never a good time to do it. After school, she was too tired. After a snack, all she wanted to do was play and I couldn't blame her. Right before bed, forget about it. These little red books came to mean one thing to me. A big fat headache.

Not to mention the rest of the homework that was sent home every day. She has to draw a picture and write a few sentences about it in her notebook. She has to read the red book. She has a very easy white book that is sent home every day too. Then, she has additional sight words to master. It easily takes 30 minutes to get all of this done and for a five year old who is already mentally drained, it usually means much longer than 30 minutes.

I can't tell you how happy I was to find out that we are on our last set of sight words. When she masters this set, Emily will get a gift certificate for a free scoop of ice cream at Baskin Robins. She has waited all year for that. We haven't gotten all the words down yet, but we will suddenly have a lot more time to work on them because Emily came home yesterday and told me that book #79 was the last of the red books. Oh happy day! I seriously did a happy dance in my kitchen.

I thought I'd get a little video of the last book and you can clearly see why it takes 15 minutes to get through all 7 pages.



We are done with the little red books. And Emily was the first kid in her class to finish all of them. It's time to celebrate! I think she deserves a big scoop of ice cream from Baskin Robins. And after the heck David and I went through for 79 nights, we deserve one too!

3 comments:

amyraye said...

she's a pretty great reader. my kindergartener wouldn't be able to get through that first page.
and all the dramatics and pulling teeth to get her to complete her homework and stay focused? it's a birth-order thing. my bets are that ben will be much easier.
neat idea to video her as a beginning reader. it's such a cool phase of life when the world of reading independently is opened up to our kids. way to go, emily!

Linda said...

She does a great job!!! Though I laughed through the video, it reminded me of me working with Sarah (at any age) because like Emily, she always gets frustrated with me and is telling me to quit talking, lol.

Anonymous said...

Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes
Gucci
Replica GUCCI SHOES
Replica GUCCI handbags
wholesale gucci shoes
cheap Gucci shoes
cheap Gucci handbags
discount gucci shoes
Gucci shop
Gucci bags
Gucci shoes
Gucci ON sale
Gucci Belts
Gucci small accessories
Gucci hats & scarves
Gucci wallets
Gucci Handbags
women Gucci shoes
Men Gucci shoes