Friday, June 11, 2010

The Gift Of Color

I was a different person in my 20's. I was happy doing the single life, dinner, movies, nightclubs. I was fun with a tad crazy. I was sugar and spice.

Imagine my surprise when I decided to paint my toenails and this is what I found in the polish basket.

23 forms of mauve.
Seriously, mauve?
A few were a version of taupe and I must have saved the reds for when I was feeling particularly spicy. I can't believe I was ever so dull. That going over the top meant burnt orange or cherry red.

Then, I had a daughter. I thought my life would become routine and far from spicy. And it has to a point, but in a good way. Emily loves fun, bright, refreshing toenail polish like the purple and blue that were lost in the sea of mauves. She always wants polish with glitter and the brighter the better.

It took having a daughter to give me the gift of color.

Thanks Em.
I'll tried spicy for sparkles any day!

2 comments:

brownymama said...

I love this post and your thoughts. Reminds me of something I would read in a magazine article from Parenting or something. (: And it's oh so true.

Linda said...

Very sweet.

I only like polish on my toes and in fact, I normally stick with the very same color (a light pink - yes almost mauve I suppose, lol). But it's all I like. Sarah sometimes has color on her nails, but when they cheerlead - no nail polish is allowed.