Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Met A Solifugide. I Miss My Husband.

David went to Phoenix yesterday for work. He had a two day workshop which means he was gone overnight. It also means he will be home tonight. Thank God.

I know my husband does a lot in the mornings to help me out so that I don't need to get up early. He wakes me at 7:30 and most mornings all three kids are already awake when I walk out. He has my coffee ready to go. He helps Emily get dressed and Ben too on the mornings he has school. He'll sometimes make them breakfast and he'll take care of the baby. I always appreciate all he does.

When I woke up yesterday morning and I had to make my own coffee, I dearly missed my husband and he had only been gone for 17 minutes. To clarify, he had made the coffee, but I actually had to pour my own cup and put the cream and sugar in it. Life is rough. But, then it was chaos. I had to get both kids ready and feed a hungry baby and pack lunch and not forget a show and tell item and write a note to the teacher and change a wet diaper and put on Ben's shoes and make sure everyone went to the bathroom. When I loaded both kids up for carpool around 8:15, I just wanted to come inside and go back to sleep.

Now, I know tons of parents do this alone every day. I do not. And it wasn't easy. Noah has caught a little cold and he is more fussy than usual. Which means, I'm more fussy than usual. The day was long and filled with picking kids up, doing homework and taking them to gymnastics. They day to day stuff I can handle because I do it every day alone.

But, then we got home last night. And my Wednesday night housewife wasn't here. And we were out of pasta sauce. And I wanted to cry. Or order Papa Johns. I made the kids cheese crisps with an array of veggies to smother in ranch. They ate dinner in front of the TV which is something we never do.

And this guy looks sweet enough...

but I think he missed his Dad and he would not stop complaining. He was not happy. I was not happy. I gave him a bath, but David always does that and Noah knew it wasn't right. Everything was out of sorts. I missed my husband. The kids missed their Dad.

I got all the kids to bed 30 minutes after their bedtime. Noah was in his room crying. Ben was in his room saying "pow, pow, pow", obviously fighting the bad guys. Emily was in her room talking to herself. I leaned against the wall in the dark hallway and thanked God that my husband is home the other 364 nights a year. Then, I went in and yelled at Noah to be quiet. Which Ben heard and he went silent immediately. Noah did too. But Emily was up for 40 minutes talking. She was Ms. Smithy and she was teaching gymnastics to her doll. I finally went in and told her to go to sleep. And she told me she was almost done with her story. I told her to finish her story tomorrow. I'd had enough. And she did. Or maybe she didn't, but I went in my room to watch America's Next Top Model.

While I was brushing my teeth, I noticed this on my bathroom rug.

What the heck is that? And where is my husband when I REALLY need him? Why oh why do I always find a bug in the house when David isn't around? Sometimes I suck them up with the hose on the vacuum, but tonight called for something mightier.

With the Internet, phone books and dictionary's are almost obsolete. Before you toss that phone book in the recycle bin or donate that dictionary, realize that it has multiple purposes.

And it will stay like that until my husband comes home tonight to pick it up. Either that or I'll get out the vacuum. David researched the 10 legged monster this morning and found out that it is was a solifugide. Sorry solifugide. But you were ugly and scary. You had to die so that I could sleep.

To my husband, I'd just like to say that I appreciate all you do around here from making me coffee to killing freaky spiders.
And this weekend, let's spray the house for bugs.

4 comments:

brownymama said...

He does take great care of you! I am gonna say, he spoiled you rotten. But you deserve it! I know you spoil him too. And it's so sweet to see.

Our usual morning is Ryan to work around 6:45 and at least 2 or 3 nights a week he walks in the door long after they have gone to bed. We eat dinner without him quite regularly. I sound like a whiner..... So.... last night around 7pm we kidnapped him from his office and we all went out for ice cream! Good times!

I miss seeing you and your fam around the neighborhood. On your bikes, in the minivan.... People in our new neighborhood aren't outside much it seems. Or maybe it's just that the homes are so far apart, you never see anyone...

Regardless, I want to get together soon!

amyraye said...

i was reading your blog as a distraction so i could eat my lunch. the pic of the solifugide came out of nowhere. next time, a warning for the miserable pregnant lady. :)
i love a woman who appreciates her deserving husband. so great to see.

Linda said...

This is beautiful and I love it.
(from someone who doesn't appreciate her husband nearly enough for all he does as well)

Stacy said...

That is one of the ugliest spiders I've ever seen! I hope never to see one of those horrid things at our house! I've done the same thing with a phonebook, keeping it in place until Dan got home. They definitely have multiple uses. :)