Friday, September 3, 2010

Mudslide

I love our neighborhood and the friends we've made. I sometimes think how different our lives would be up here if we had chosen a different house in a different subdivision. I'm sure we would've made friends where ever we went, but it wouldn't be these friends. And these friends are great.

Last Friday afternoon, a storm moved in and the temperature dropped about 20 degrees. Our plans of going to the pool after dinner would not be happening. But our friends called and invited us over after dinner for some outside fun. They live in cul-de-sac which only got half way developed before our home builder went out of business. It's quiet and perfect for hanging out on a Friday night.

The kids got to ride their bikes.

And Noah hung out in the stroller for over an hour just watching everybody.

Ben's form here is hysterical.

With a little help from Dad, he sinks it.

We played air hockey.

And bowled.

And us Moms chatted and sipped mudslides.


Ah...mudslides...they instantly take me back to a different time in my life. Where sleep was abundant and well, so were the mudslides.

In our twenties, my BFF, Pam, and I used to take a summer trip somewhere wonderful. Our first trip was Hawaii. Our second trip was the ultimate road trip. To Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Now, before you think why would two young girls go to Wyoming, let me just show you.

We rented a Mustang convertible because our Sentra and Civic weren't cool enough.

Now, Jackson Hole is pretty country. I mean where else can you find the world's largest arch made out of antlers?

And yes, you sometimes have to stop on the road for almost an hour because buffalo are crossing and they don't care that you want to get to Old Faithful before it erupts again. They are on buffalo time and you just have to go with that.

Then, a few miles past the buffalo, you run into the Tetons, which could just be one of the most beautiful spots in the entire country.

And if you choose your hotel correctly, you'll have a rooftop view which includes champagne and a hot tub. Not too country for Gina.

But, my point is about the mudslides. On this particular trip, we were planning on staying at several little hotels along the way. The trunk of this mustang was about the size of a shoe box. So, we had to utilize the backseat. And piled on top of our make up bags was a bottle of TGIF mudslide mix and a blender. Yes, we brought a blender on our road trip. It made those stops along the way just that much more fun.

Our night last Friday, ended with the kids (and then adults) in the hot tub.

Kind of like in Jackson Hole.
I guess some things really don't change.

3 comments:

Linda said...

OH, I LOVE this one!! Hee hee. :) First I started reading and I said to myself - "See, Gina - you do TOO have good neighbors that are friends!!" I'm jealous. All we have is... umm.... my parents next door.

:P

Love the photos and the stories. Have a great weekend! :)

brownymama said...

Ahhhhh... I miss my neighbors!!!!

pam said...

Oh my! Didn't we look hot in our faded jeans?! Yikes! Fun trip down memory lane. That was a super fun trip. Next time I'm there, let's break out the blender and have some mudslides! Love ya!