Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Ben.

I went to pick Ben up from preschool yesterday and they were still at recess. But he wasn't leaning on the wall with the other children getting a skittle. He was with a few other boys at a little picnic table. And he looked upset. He was not getting a skittle. And when I say a skittle, I mean A skittle. That is their reward for lining up when the teacher calls them.

Ben and his friend were playing shark. Ben heard the teacher say it was time to line up, but he wanted to keep playing shark with his friend.

This year of preschool is teaching Ben so much more than his letters and numbers. He's learning the rules of life.

He was almost in tears when we got to the car because he didn't get a skittle. I explained to him that he is his own boss. No matter what his friends might be doing or what game might be going on, he needs to listen to the the teacher and do what he is supposed to do.

At the dinner table last night, I told David about what happened. David always takes a different approach to asking the kids questions. After being with Child Protective Services for over 10 years, he interviews them and asks questions completely different then I ever would. But, it's interesting to hear the answers.

David: "Ben, how do you know when it's time to line up after recess?"

Now the obvious answer is "my teacher tells us to".
But with David's very open ended questions, a very different answer came out.

Ben: "My Spidey senses start tingling."

And that is Ben.

God, I love this kid.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I read this aloud to Jim and we both laughed. Gotta love it and Ben - so cute. :)

Holly and Bo said...

That is hilarious! How did you all react at the table? I'm learning it's very difficult not to laugh when you're trying to be serious as a parent but your child does/says something funny.

amyraye said...

THAT is awesome.

pam said...

Nice! Love him!