Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Exciting

Emily is getting the hang of doing a handstand. She's been working on it in gymnastics for awhile now, but it does take a lot of strength, not to mention balance and coordination. She did so many handstands her back was hurting from falling over. She'll have to get how to fall into a backbend eventually. But, I'm just proud of her for getting the handstand.


Ben was content to just fly off the playhouse.

*****************
Noah said his first official word last night. Well, we've had "hi" and "up", but it was always like, "Did he just say up? It kind of sounded like up" sort of thing. With all of our kids we taught them sign language for "more", which is tapping your fingertips together with both hands. We were supposed to teach them more than just that word, but that's all that ever seemed to stick. So, last night I gave him a piece of candy corn. And I started singing the "I don't like candy corn" song from Nick Jr, even though we all love candy corn. It goes like this:

When I finished singing the song, Noah very clearly signed more and even said "mo" with it. David and I were like, "Did you see that?". And yep, we both saw and heard it. So, that's officially his official first word. I sung the song on command about 5 more times. How could I not?
Oh wait, he did crawl after David one time and babbled "Da da", but since he never did it again, we weren't sure if it was a coincidence or on purpose. So, we didn't think it officially counted. The kid loves to babble.
*****************
Emily has been working on spelling words and taking a spelling test on Friday for the past 2 weeks. I knew it would be a process of learning to take an oral test as she had never done that before. She usually knew most the words on Monday when we did homework. By Friday, she could write them in her sleep. They were easy enough for her hat, cat, mat, sat, bat, fat, a, the, and...

This week, her teacher sent home this note:

Woot! Woot! Good job Em. She told me she was in the "100 Club" at school this week. She rocks.
***************
And guess what? I won another giveaway on the blogosphere. I was blog hopping one afternoon and came across a blog for a $40 CSN Stores giveaway. I probably enter 1 or 2 giveaways a week. So, not a whole lot. If it's from a blog that I don't normally read, I'll bookmark it and check it later. Good thing I did because I found this post last week. When I entered, they wanted to know what you'd buy and I went to the webpage and saw huge Batman decals for Ben's room. They were awesome. However when I found out I won, I also found out that my mini food processor had a crack in it. I use it for everything from dicing onions (my least favorite thing about cooking) to making baby food for Noah. So, I jumped on the chance to get a new one for free. And we had money left, so I asked David if he wanted anything and he did.

We got a coffee grinder too. We paid a whopping $3 after tax and shipping. And it arrived yesterday and I can only say one thing. Oh. My. Gosh. How have we been living without fresh ground coffee? Wow!
****************
In closing, I'd just like to clarify that Noah's primary diet consists of fruit, vegetables, oatmeal and milk. Not just cheetos and candy corn.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Love it. So many fun things happening. :)

I could never do a handstand - not even when I was Emily's age. Gymnastics was just never (ever) my thing, lol. Putting it mildly, I hated it. But I think it's great!! :)

Congratulations on another winning! I give up too easily I guess, the only one I have ever tried is on the Pioneer Woman's site and I never won.

The spelling tests.... I had forgotten but when Sarah was around Emily's age, the teacher worked out a deal with me where I did the tests with her at home and sent them in. I can't remember why it was, but for some reason it worked better that way and so she went with it. I'm still friends with that teacher - Mrs. Dunlap - on Facebook. :)

Have a great remainder of the week. I'm off now on a 4-day break and getting ready for HOMECOMING!! :)

Anonymous said...

I love all the news and updates on what everyone is doing. Emily makes us all so proud. I sent her an email showing her something special. ☺ And Ben is amazing with his ability to "fly". He surely is a super boy. Noah keeps getting sweeter all the time especially with the addition of candy corn to his already diverse diet. Ha!
I'm sure the new coffee grinder will bring you all much pleasure especially on the days that the beans are freshly ground. Have fun.☼
Love,
G.