Don't get too excited Joe (my brother) it's not that... :o)
First a little history. We started composting about 9 months ago. At the time, we didn't have a compost bin. We just started a pile, which David would till and what not. We now have a nice bin, so that makes the process easier. The point being, when we started our garden, we used some of this compost pile as filler. It hadn't quite broken down into mulch it was more of an enriched dirt. One of the first plants that started growing in the garden was not one that we planted. It looked kind of like the zucchini leaves, so we assumed the wind had carried a seed a few feet and something rooted. Well, the plant is now huge, like the zucchini and it's sprouted some sort of fruit or vegetable. It is definitely not zucchini. It's obviously something from this original compost pile that just started growing. I thought it might be butternut squash, but we only eat the frozen kind so nothing would end up in the compost bin. I'm thinking it looks a lot like a watermelon or maybe a pumpkin. I really have no idea. I'd love any feedback on what you think it might be. If you are the lucky winner, we'll send you a zucchini!
4 comments:
I vote watermelon!
I think it is a watermelon too. Those things grow really easy from seeds. Did the plant have small yellow flowers on it? Before the fruit.
Diana
I think it's a Pumpkin plant!
I have a whole pumpkin patch with little pumpkins this size and it also grows with yellow flours before the pumpkins form, just like watermelon and Zucchini.
It looks great. :-)
Although on second glance, it could be watermelon, as they initially look very similar. Time will tell.
Post a Comment