Thursday, July 31, 2008

Musical Rooms

When I was single, I purchased some pretty decent furniture. I never really envisioned what the future held for me or my furniture. I've found out that the original purpose of something is not always how it turns out. For example, a year before I met David I purchased a beautiful buttercream yellow chaise lounge from Restoration Hardware for about $1,000. I loved this chair. It was by far the most comfortable place to sit in the entire house. I could also curl up and take a nice nap. All that ended when we got Forest. No matter what I did, he only wanted to sleep on this chaise. He wouldn't do it when we were home, but the second we left, he would make his way up there. Apparently, he agreed with me that it was the most comfortable spot in the house. I quickly tired of putting laundry baskets on the chair when I left the house, and it soon was covered with a blanket. It has remained Forest's bed for over 4 years. It is literally covered in dog hair and I don't dare sit on it anymore. I also had a great coffee and end table set. The coffee table is now for Ben's Thomas the Train track. Such is life I suppose and I'm sure we will continue to find new ways to use the furniture other than it's intended purpose.

In our home in Phoenix, we had a formal living room and dining room. We went out and purchased a table for the dining area that we used 3 times in the 2 years that we lived there. Does anybody ever use these formal tables? We have a "formal" area here as well, so we hauled the table up here. We've been here a year and I don't think we've used it. I've dusted it twice a week, okay, okay once if I'm lucky for a year and that's about it. I like the table. It's a nice dark wood and it's really not very formal. The chairs are great and have a cushy microfiber seat. Our breakfast area is rather large. We've been using a table in there that I've had for about 10 years. I have always loved this table. It was solid wood and the finish was just beautiful. The problem is that it seats 4 comfortably. It's a little tight to add another chair and forget about 2 chairs. You're bumping elbows with the person next to you. We do seem to have a lot of company and this is always something I think about when I have to drag out the back up chairs from the guest room.

Last week, I had a vision at 2 AM. Yes, this is what I am up thinking about when I can't sleep in the middle of the night. Maybe the formal table would work in the kitchen area. This will also free up the entire formal living and dining room for kid stuff. Before, half was kid stuff. We actually have an airplane teeter totter in the middle of the room. I did the switch today while David was at work and we both love it. We sat at the table tonight for dinner and could not believe how comfy the chairs are. The kitchen area is void of kid toys which is always nicer to look at. The living room belongs to Ben and Emily. Of course I left the sofa in there so I could relax while I watch them play and still in place is Forest's "bed".

I realize that this change works for us for now. In a few years, the kids will be in school and not playing at home all day. The play kitchen and rocking horse will be gone and they'll want their own TV with a Wii and 2 computers. Until then, Forest and I will relax on our respective spots and watch the kids play.
The BEFORE -- Yes, that's Ben's bare butt. He's potty training.



The AFTER

2 comments:

Linda said...

I always enjoy your stories! :-)
I think the changes you've made with the furniture are great and make a lot of sense. There are no hard/fast rules when it comes to our homes - whatever works!

Hope you have a great weekend,
Linda

Anonymous said...

Golly gee, what a change from the formal adult rooms to a new area that is formally now known as The Kids Play Area. Lucky kids, those two grandchildren of mine. I like that you and Forest still have your Observation Posts in place. But, I agree with Linda it sure makes a lot of sense. I just shudder to think of you changing all that furniture around by yourself. :)Relax this weekend, if not on your Chaise Lounge at least stay in bed a bit longer tomorrow.
Love,
G.