Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Greatest Show on Earth


We went to the Circus Friday night. We have a small arena here that holds about 5,000-6,000 people depending on the event. This was the Ringling Brothers circus, but they only had one ring instead of the usual 3 due to the arena size. This was our first time going to Tim's Toyota Center, and overall, we were very happy with it. It is mainly used for hockey, but they get a few odd and end concerts or shows. I didn't realize that it was so small. When I bought our seats they were in section 215, so I thought we were going to be on the upper deck. I didn't realize there isn't an upper deck. It was small and intimate and perfect. The kids both napped that day which is unusual. We went an hour early and they let you down on the stage floor to watch some of the performers or do a few activites. The kids got to swing from a trapezee and hula hoop. They both did well during the show. Emily was completely enamored. Ben got a bit fidgity after 90 minutes. I think he was moving just to stay awake. They loved the tigers and elephants. Emily told me during the show a number of times that she wanted to do this or that. We all had a great time and I think David and I enjoyed ourselves more than we thought we would. I looked over several times to see David laughing out loud usually at this French character that was the comedy relief. We put the kids to bed right when we got home. Ben was asleep in about a minute. Miss Emily was wired. She would not settle down. I went in her room to tell her to go to sleep at 10:00, 11:00, 12:00 and finally 1:00. When I went in at 1:00, she was standing on her bed. I asked her what she was doing. She said, "Cartwheels like in the Circus." I guess she's all ready to run away from home and join the Circus at the ripe ol' age of 3!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This brings back memories for me of the first time we took Alisa and David to the circus in Montreal. It was held at the Montreal Forum, better known for it's hockey games. It was a 3 ring circus and I remember the kids were spell bound, so entranced were they, that David fell asleep.It was actually the first time I had ever seen a 3 ring circus myself and finally got to understand what 3 ring circus meant.Certainly a lot to see, all happening at the same time. I am glad that Ben and Emily only had to focus attention on one thing at a time. I'm sure Emily loved the animals and the action. I had hoped she would tell me about it today, but truthfully I got more out of Ben yesterday than Emily.
I love the pics and remember this doesn't let you off the hook, for my weekly fix. :)Thanks so much for sharing.
Love,
Grammie

Linda said...

How fun! :)
We never did end up doing Ringling with Sarah and I even had a free ticket that we received from someplace when she was a baby, but simply never used it. She did attend a small circus once, that stopped in our town, with her Dad and Grandpa and enjoyed that a lot.
The pictures are great!