Monday, July 14, 2008

Daytime Memories

Emily has been out of preschool for over a month. It's been difficult finding things to do to occupy the days. With gas being so expensive, we try not to drive into town for little things. We save up all of our errands and do them all in one day usually on the weekends when I have David to help with the kids. So that leaves a lot of time on our hands. I often feel like the days are broken up into 15 minute activities. I like to think that it's because of the kids attention span, but frankly it's mine too. I can only play hop scotch, play doh or Candy Land for so long before I start to lose it. The weather up here is fantastic. We got an early monsoon season and the days are usually nice in the morning and overcast in the afternoon. I use any opportunity to get the kids out of the house. We go to the clubhouse pool or we have a great park really close. We usually go with some of the Mom's in the Mommy group which it's always nice to speak to another adult. Sometimes we just hang out in our front yard. Here are a few photos from one of our recent 15 minute segments.

Emily's outline. Ben's outline. Forest gets in on the fun. We can't leave out Buzz Lightyear. Here are videos of Emily playing hop scotch.



Being a stay at home Mom is the hardest job I've ever had. The days are long, the activities are monotonous and the pay is lousy. I sometimes think that I should get a part time job, but then, I think about all that I'd miss if I had to work and they were in day care. About 10 minutes after I put Emily down for her nap today, she came running out of her room. She wanted me to come look at something. She had drawn a picture on her magna doodle and she said "Look Mommy, that's my family." It's moments like these that I realize I'm the luckiest woman in the world.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I loved being a stay-at-home Mom and if not for life circumstances, I would have been one much longer. My sisters with children are both stay-at-home Moms and have been for many years now. In my mind, it's always the best choice as you can never get those years back. I well remember how difficult it could be but I miss those years immensely at times. In the natural order of things, children grow up and our role as a Mom grows with them. I can tell that you're such a great Mom and when I read your stories, I recall many of the same experiences from when Sarah was little. Keep on cherishing each and every moment. :-)

By the way - are you familiar with MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers)? This organization (non-denomination run through various churches) was such a blessing to me during those years. It's where I met some of the friends that I've remained friends with all of these many years - our children grew up together.

Anonymous said...

Linda's right , you are a great mom. Of course I'm prejudiced but I couldn't want any better Mom for my grandkids. :)
Love,
G.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family portrait!

Lindsay said...

Wow. Where have I been for a few days? I get on and you have 3 great new posts! And beautiful new pictures! Em looks absolutely adorable in her pink flower outfit with her pigtails! What a big smiley girl! And I think it is time for a get together! Even though gas is expensive we could use a getaway for the day! You up for it! I think Ben and Andrew will have a blast together and Em and Victoria can be girly girls!