Saturday, June 28, 2008

Too early for Santa?

Emily has been a thumb sucker since she was 3 months old. She doesn't suck her thumb all day but she likes it when she is tired or watching TV. We know we need to break this habit soon before she causes major damage to her teeth. David always jokes that we are going to "cut that thumb off" and "get the scissors". She thinks it's funny and giggles as she hides her thumb. I decided it was time to really try to do something besides threatening to cut off her thumb. I cut the fingers out of a glove so it wouldn't be too hot. I figured she could start wearing it during the day as a reminder to not put her thumb in her mouth. She thought the glove was pretty cool at first. She looked like Madonna circa 1985. She didn't want to wear it for long though and would sneak it off and suck her thumb when I wasn't looking. We had some errands to do today and we told her she needed to wear her glove. At some point in the car, she took it off. I don't know why David said this but he said something like "Santa is watching and you won't get presents for Christmas unless you start listening to us and stop sucking your thumb". Emily was most intrigued by this. David secretly used his cell to call my cell and I pretended it was Santa. She fell for it hook, line and sinker. Are we evil parents? Later, she wanted to talk to Santa so David went in the room and we dialed 1-800 North Pole and spoke with Santa. Santa told her that if she didn't stop sucking her thumb he'd bring scissors at Christmas. Great babe, scare her to death. Then, Ben started complaining and Emily quickly informed him "Ben be quiet or Santa will come cut off your head". Okay, we just made Santa the next star of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Anyway, it's working. She left the glove on all day and even went down for her nap with it on. I was shocked. Is this all it takes is a little bribing from Santa? I know people sometimes think that Christmas has gotten too commercial and that God and Jesus are all too often forgotten. Maybe Santa is God's brilliant idea to get our kids to behave better. As a child you feel accountability because you believe that Santa is watching you. As you get older, you replace Santa with God. Maybe they aren't so different after all. Let's hope she doesn't have nightmares tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh, you made me laugh right out loud at 10:30 at night. Where does that girl come up with her one liners? I hope it works. If not there is always that stuff they use to prevent nail biting. You could pretend to paint her nails and get it on the thumb nail....You know she is all girl and loves to have her nails done.But the gloves are quite inventive as well.
Love,
Greammie