Thursday, June 19, 2008

To Sleep or Not to Sleep

Big sigh... I remember when I used to sleep through the night. I didn't use ear plugs, a fan for noise or need the temperature just perfect. I call this time B.C. No, not Before Christ, Before Children. I used to sleep 8-10 hours and need an alarm to wake up. Neither David or I have used an alarm in years. We have 2 that do a great job and don't need electricity or batteries, Ben and Emily. Although, they rarely wake us up anymore, so I can't really blame them for our sleep issues. We are both exhausted every night before we go to bed. We both fall asleep fairly quickly. We each have a different set of problems after that.

I have all these things that I have to do before bed in order to sleep. I need ear plugs. Something that started A.C. (after children). I could hear Emily barely fuss across our 3,000 square foot home without a monitor and both doors shut. I started using the ear plugs and haven't been able to stop. I have to have Carmex on my lips and water by the bed. I need my stuffed animal to lump under an arm. For those who have known me forever I still sleep with Bubbette. Some of my high school friends used to torture her. Anyway, I fall asleep quickly and wake up around 1:00 and can't go back to sleep after that for hours. I usually see the clock almost every hour with the exception of 11 and sometimes 12. Is this normal? Is this what happens as we get older? My best sleep usually occurs on weekends once David gets up at 6:00 or so. I know the kids will be taken care of and I can sleep until about 8:00 without any interruption. I long for the weekends and those 2 hours of solid deep sleep.

David has the opposite problem. He sleeps great for about 6-7 hours and wakes up every day without fail between 5:00 and 6:30. He hates that he can't get more rest than that. He hasn't slept past 7:00 since B.C. He got used to waking up with Emily and then to take Forest for a walk. Now, he can't break the cycle. Why is it so much easier to get into a habit than break one?

Here it is 6:04 and he just woke up. He is going to faint that I am up before him. I can probably count on one hand how often that happens. David always jokes that if I'm up before him to check his pulse. I had a headache last night and it was still bothering me at 4:15. I got up to take 2 Excedrin and here I am. I'm going to need at least 2 big cups of coffee this morning just to attempt to make it through the day. Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh girl! How do you do it! That is... get through the day on sleep like this!!!! Are the kiddos waking or is it just you? If just you, maybe you can get a little sleep aid for a bit to see if that can break your pattern!!!!

As for us here...no rountines of going to bed. Just plop in and drift off from exhaustion. Last night both Matt and I were beyond tired! He had had dental work done all afternoon and I was just Super tired. We put the kids to bed at 7:15 and we were in bed by 7:45! Would have been earlier but we had to make all of Matt's food for his meals at work today and he has a long day today. But I was glad we went that early cause the dog got me up to go outside, I heard Victoria calling my name once so I got up to check....she was asleep, and Andrew cried out two cries at two different times waking me up. So I was awoken 4 times last night. We have these nights every so often but we are now leaving Andrew's door open so I think I am hearing him now when I didn't used to. I just have to get used to it and know that I don't need to check on him unless it turns into a real cry. We don't have monitors for either of the kids in our room since they are so close to us. Anyway, I think I will be fine today though cause of getting that extra hour and a half or so!

Hope you have a good day! I am sure you will be taking in a lot of coffee!!!!

Linda said...

Oh, I absolutely love this one because I can totally relate for some similar reasons and some not. I wish that I could write that it gets better. I'm 43 and haven't slept well in at least 2 years. I have something that I call "the 2:00 hour" as I seem to wake every night (morning) at the same time - 2:00 a.m. Beyond that I toss and turn, and oh yeah, sometimes I get up and... write! :-)
(Your Uncle Jim, on the other hand, falls asleep in less than a minute and hardly anything wakes him!!)

Anonymous said...

David and Gina

I just wanted to tell you that I love reading the blog and hope all is well there with all of you. David, when you get a chance write me back from my last mail.

Michele

Anonymous said...

Next time you find yourself squirming like a disgruntled toddler as you're trying to fall asleep, try this relaxation and sleep-promoting move taken from chi-gong (qigong):
1. Rub your hands together to warm them. Place your right palm over your right eye, left palm over left eye.
2. Press the center bone above each eye with your index fingers.
3. Press the outside corner of your eyes at the bone.
4. Press the bottom center of your eyes on the inside of the bone.
5. Press the inside of each eye.
6. Use your thumbs to push where your jaw and cheekbone meet.
7. Move to your ears and pinch along the edge of your ears from top to bottom.
8. End the sequence with a move called "Beating the Heavenly Drum." Tap the back of your head nine times with the palms of your hands and your thumbs resting on your neck.

Gina, it's worth a try. :)
Love,
Grammie