Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Our Cool Coyote

On Monday, we went to an assembly at Emily's school. She was being honored with the award of "Cool Coyote"(their school mascot) for the month of August (it's a quarterly assembly). A cool coyote is typically someone who shows improvement in academics, leadership or citizenship. I thought the first month of kindergarten would be difficult to show much improvement. At our first parent teacher conference today, her teacher said she got the award for leadership in the classroom and taking initiative. We are so proud of our girl. To get recognized for doing so well the very first month of school is certainly impressive. David went to the meeting today and said the teacher had nothing but great things to say about Emily. She listens well and is a role model in class. The teachers only concern was that she doesn't talk. My girl? Doesn't talk? I guess she saves it all up for when she gets home. It may just be an age thing since she is the youngest kid in her class, making the cutoff by a day. But, she was much the same way in preschool. If that's the worst thing that she does while in school, I'm a pretty lucky parent. (Holy crap, I'm a parent! It still takes me by surprise sometimes.)

We had to kill a little time after the assembly because our carpool friend didn't get out for a few minutes. We went to the playground and had some fun. Noah, of course, was strapped to me in his sling.



I love the scenery from their playground. My elementary school playground was next to a water canal where they once found a dead body. The views of Mingus Mountain are much nicer.


The teacher sent home a packet of some of Emily's work with numbers and lots of drawings. Emily loves to draw. She was telling me about all the pictures. I asked her why Mommy was in so many of them. She said, "because I'm thinking about you". How sweet is that?

Congrats to our little Em Rose. We are so proud of you.

4 comments:

brownymama said...

Way to go Emily! She doesn't talk? Really?

Linda said...

That's wonderful! Congratulations!!! :-)

At our school, it was the "student of the month" and I remember those days well... then they turn into teenagers and things, uh... change slightly (though I'm still proud of my daughter's achievements). They just don't have these wonderful award ceremonies anymore and then there are things like Honors Algebra, which make things more of a struggle, lol.

The scenery in the background is neat - it would be cool to see mountains in the distance.

pam said...

Yea, Emily! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, to my Little Emily! She takes after her daddy, I guess. In class he didn't talk either, in fact at my first teacher meeting with his Kdg teacher she actually asked me if David talks. She had not heard a peep out of him up till then.However, you will notice I'm sure that he has plenty to say most of the time!
Again Congratulations to Emily and let's hope and pray she will have many more such awards.
♥♥♥
G.