Then the thunderstorms of all thunderstorms hit. It rained for about an hour. We had never seen so much rain fall in such a short amount of time. So much rain that our backyard was flooded. The water usually runs off and drains in a few hours. After the rain stopped, we noticed the flood in the backyard was increasing.
Here's why:
We have a field behind us that was meant for a Jr. High School, but due to all the economy stuff, it's been put on hold. Apparently, there is a little irrigation issue back there. It took over 5 hours for the water to stop draining through our fence. That can't be good. Another few storms like that and we won't have a fence.
The storm passed quickly and we headed off to a friends house for a barbecue. The kids had so much fun and didn't stop playing for 4 hours.
This is Ben having fun.
This is Ben eating popcorn. What is it with popcorn and french fries? You can't eat just one at a time.
This is why you shouldn't tell your kids that they have to smile for the camera before they can go play.
We left the barbecue in time to come home, get the kids in the bath and feed them. I don't know why they never eat at parties. I guess they are playing too hard. The food is always one of the best parts. Their loss. Then, we watched fireworks from our backyard. It's nice that we can see them so well without having to go anywhere or fight any crowds.
Now the long weekend is over. It was wonderful. Today, I have to call the Dr. because Ben seems to have gotten an earache from swimming on Saturday. And I need to contact the city to find out who exactly owns the land behind us, so I can contact them about grading it properly so it drains somewhere other than our backyard.
Reality stinks sometimes.
3 comments:
Wow, friend! That's just crazy!!! I hope you get some resolution to that flooding issue. Glad you had a great holiday. The kids look great!
I love the pic of Ben having fun!:) Emily just gets cuter everyday, and, of course my little man Ben is cute as well as winning the prize for the most serious child in America.
I really had difficulty picturing the flood as David described it, so thanks for the audio visual. That little clip might also come in handy when trying to explain to the property owner.I can't begin to imagine what it must have looked like on the other side of the fence. I hope you do get the problem taken care of.
Love,
G.
Glad you had a good weekend of festivities, minus the flood -- hope you receive quick action on that issue!! Love the photos and Emily's t-shirt is adorable. :)
Post a Comment