These grasshoppers are enormous. They probably measure the width and length of one of your fingers. They are huge and gross and everywhere! I've always had a fear of bugs. I know it's not rational, but what fears really are? I hate grasshoppers the most, so when these things took up residence with me last year, I was not too happy. I seriously have a panic attack just getting the mail. I even went so far last year to get in my car in the garage, put up the garage door, back out to my mailbox which is right in front of the house, roll down the car window to get the mail, pull back into the garage, shut the garage door and then safely exit my vehicle. I try not to show my fear in front of the kids as the last thing I want to do is make them have the same silly anxiety I do. I gave up our evening walk last year as I just couldn't bring myself to go outside anymore. The good news is that they have started much later this year. I had only seen one in the backyard on my zucchini plant for the past week. That's the one I took a picture of. Trust me, I used the zoom and stood as far away as I could. Today, he invited his whole family and I saw 5 of them. They die off when the weather drops below 40 at night a few times. I'm praying for some cold weather right about now.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
They're Baaaack
Before we moved to Prescott Valley, we made about 7 or 8 trips up here. Apparently, none of those trips were in late August, September or the beginning of October. If we had visited during that 2 months span, I may have never agreed to move here. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely beautiful. You can't beat the weather. We love the small town feel. The Homecoming Queen makes the front page of the local newspaper. What I wasn't prepared for are what I refer to as the Hoppers. I capitalize them because they deserve it. Look for yourself...

These grasshoppers are enormous. They probably measure the width and length of one of your fingers. They are huge and gross and everywhere! I've always had a fear of bugs. I know it's not rational, but what fears really are? I hate grasshoppers the most, so when these things took up residence with me last year, I was not too happy. I seriously have a panic attack just getting the mail. I even went so far last year to get in my car in the garage, put up the garage door, back out to my mailbox which is right in front of the house, roll down the car window to get the mail, pull back into the garage, shut the garage door and then safely exit my vehicle. I try not to show my fear in front of the kids as the last thing I want to do is make them have the same silly anxiety I do. I gave up our evening walk last year as I just couldn't bring myself to go outside anymore. The good news is that they have started much later this year. I had only seen one in the backyard on my zucchini plant for the past week. That's the one I took a picture of. Trust me, I used the zoom and stood as far away as I could. Today, he invited his whole family and I saw 5 of them. They die off when the weather drops below 40 at night a few times. I'm praying for some cold weather right about now.
These grasshoppers are enormous. They probably measure the width and length of one of your fingers. They are huge and gross and everywhere! I've always had a fear of bugs. I know it's not rational, but what fears really are? I hate grasshoppers the most, so when these things took up residence with me last year, I was not too happy. I seriously have a panic attack just getting the mail. I even went so far last year to get in my car in the garage, put up the garage door, back out to my mailbox which is right in front of the house, roll down the car window to get the mail, pull back into the garage, shut the garage door and then safely exit my vehicle. I try not to show my fear in front of the kids as the last thing I want to do is make them have the same silly anxiety I do. I gave up our evening walk last year as I just couldn't bring myself to go outside anymore. The good news is that they have started much later this year. I had only seen one in the backyard on my zucchini plant for the past week. That's the one I took a picture of. Trust me, I used the zoom and stood as far away as I could. Today, he invited his whole family and I saw 5 of them. They die off when the weather drops below 40 at night a few times. I'm praying for some cold weather right about now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You should move south where there are prettier grasshoppers.
http://www.pbase.com/image/102748876
I'm with you - I hate grasshoppers and we have a large variety as well. There are also these ones that fly upwards and kind of hover there, and not to mention the noisy locusts that buzz all late summer long. Yuck. :-)
Post a Comment