Thursday, September 4, 2008

Another Year Begins

A new year for me used to begin on January 1. Now that Emily is starting her second year of preschool, I realize that it begins in August or the beginning of September. Yesterday was her first day of PreK. She is starting at a new school this year. Last year by the time we moved up here and I called about preschool, everything was taken. I managed to get her in a preschool in Prescott for two days a week. It worked for us at the time. This year, we wanted to be closer to home especially with gas being so expensive. I had to reserve her spot in March. She is going to a preschool that is sponsored by a Christian Church, so the curriculum is Christian based. I think this is great. She may actually learn about Jesus during Christmas instead of just Santa.

Her first day seemed to go well. One of Emily's friends in the neighborhood is also attending, so Emily felt good having Alanah there. I didn't get teary eyed or anything like I did last year when I dropped her off. I guess it's all old hat now. She did well as I expected. Ben and I used the time to do a little shopping at Kohls and came home to finish some chores. I forgot over the last 3 months how nice and easy it is to do things with only one child. I asked her how her day was and she said it was good. She liked her teacher. When I asked what she did, she wouldn't tell me much. She played with dolls. I'm sure she did much more than that, but that's all I got from her. Oh and that she had pretzels and string cheese for a snack.

This picture was taken on the morning of her first day of school. As you can see, she is now infatuated with dolls. She loves them. My Dad and Suzy sent her this Baby Alive Doll for her birthday. She got it on Wednesday and she played with it for 3 hours straight. She even brought it in the car with her to school yesterday. She can feed the doll food and a bottle and the doll actually goes to the bathroom. I'm thinking this sounds like work. She thinks it's fun. When she first got the doll, she was playing with it. The doll talks and started rattling off her commands. "I'm hungry." "I'm thirsty." "I made a stinky." "Please, change me." "I need a hug." "Let's play." "I'm sleepy." Emily couldn't keep up and was looking so frustrated. She finally told the doll, "Just hold on, wait a minute!" I was cracking up. I guess she finally got a taste of her own medicine.

3 comments:

Linda said...

This is so precious and I love her jumper! Glad she had a great first day of school. Sarah never went to anything but regular Kindergarten, so my big teary-eyed moment was then. And I know what you mean - once they're in school - the year begins with the school year. Time is measured differently then.

Anonymous said...

I was speaking to Emily's grampie on the evening of her first day back at school and so I asked him to let me speak to her. When he asked her if she wanted to speak to me she of course said "No". That is always her response, but she added to it." I am a big girl now and I can mind my own business". I guess that was her way of saying"Grammie , bug off".
So much for finding out what she did at school and if she liked her new teacher. I guess I will have to wait awhile until I can corner her in person and get some answers to my many questions. :)

Anonymous said...

That is a nice jumper. Whoever bought that has terrific taste.