Thursday, September 3, 2015

Around Our House

Things have been so busy around here.  So, here's a little catch up on the goings on.

Here's Emily with her birthday sundae from Olive Garden last week.  I helped her eat it!

She's so cute and innocent. I took her to her 11 year old well visit at the Doctor.  They need shots at 11, so we had to get on it.  I told Emily to read the handout after that they gave us and ask me if she has any questions.  She read it and said, "what's sexually active mean?  What's birth control?  What is genitalia?  What is masturbating?"  Oh good Lord, we've skirted issues about all of this for years.  Like when she watched the Bachelor with me, "Mom, what's a virgin?"  Ugh.  But, David and I both figured it was probably time to have a talk. 

So, we explained things to her.  I was expecting horror, shock, disgust.  Instead, she started crying.  Not just a few tears, bawling!  She said she doesn't ever, ever, ever, want to do that.  I couldn't help but giggle a little.  David handled it much more maturely.  He's really the only adult in this house.  Well, that's a stretch sometimes if you've ever seen him play with the kids.  But, "The Talk" has been put out there and we told her to come to us with any questions.  

This is a cute pic that Ben did of himself outside his classroom.  It says:  My goal is to get better at division.  I'll do this by using flash cards at home for 15 minutes every friday and on weekends.  

Great idea Ben!  Ask me how many times he's done this so far....zero!  I love how he drew himself.  Glasses, and big ears and that kind of one sided smile.  Nailed it.


In Noah's class they have clothespins with their names.  They all start on Good and can move up to Wow or down to Oops and Yikes for things that happen throughout the day.  Noah got on Oops last week.  There was a girl in his class wearing one of those puffy vest jackets.  He said she looked fat.  She was upset, like really crying upset.  He didn't mean she was fat, just that the jacket was puffy. She's actually a skinny girl. In any case, he hurt her feelings, so he made Paloma a card and gave it to her the next day.


I added these from my phone and they are the wrong way.  But, whatevs, just tilt your head.  I asked Noah what he should write inside.  He said, "Palmoa, sorry for calling you fat."  I told him you never call a girl fat, ugly or stupid.  Or anybody for that matter.  Unless, of course, you're 100% positive that they can't hear you.  :)  HA! Just kidding.   Anyway, he wrote:  Paloma  I'm sorry for being mean.  Will you forgive me?  I'll never do that again.  From Noah.  


Noah is in the highest reading group in his class and this little girl is in the lowest, so she couldn't read it.  So, he read it to her.  How cute is that?

We were at our friends last weekend and Ben had a totally wiggly tooth. So, Ryan tried to take it out with floss twice, but it broke the floss both times. So, he went to pliers. That did the trick.


And that's about it on our home front!

3 comments:

Linda said...

You have the greatest kids! I know you know that but still ;) They're wonderful.

I remember having the talk with Sarah and I had a little children's book that explained issues that I left with her for future reading.

I cringed a bit at the removing the tooth with pliers :) - I'm too squeamish for that I guess, plus Sarah's baby teeth actually had super long roots and had to be removed professionally at the dentist office because she had double teeth (permanent teeth right behind the baby teeth), since the baby teeth would not fall out on their own.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday weekend! Enjoyed your update.
Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Even though I have spoken often with David I still need your blog to hear and see all that's new. I'm so proud of Noah and his efforts to be a little gentleman. Ben's artistic efforts and pledges to become better at math are promising but we'll have to wait and see I guess. He told me before the summer that he would renew his efforts at blogging... that never happened.. Right Ben? The dental clinic looked impressive after all where does one go to be held in the arms of their father when having a tooth removed. Brave patient for sure especially if he saw those pliers coming in for a haul...
Glad you guys had an outing to the Olive Garden. Emily's sundae looked yummy.
Wishing you all a happy and care free weekend.
Love,
G

Sarah said...

You have such a cute family. And that "talk" can be so scary for kids. And parents. Sounds like it went well, tears and all.