Swim lessons start in 2 weeks. Gymnastics started tonight.
Emily and Ben are both in the same class. It's for 4 year olds with no previous gym experience and 3 year olds that can follow along in a class. Gulp. I knew Emily would do great. Ben, I was not so sure about. He's never been in any formal class and he just left my side willingly for the first time a few days ago. I was hoping for the best because this is something that they can both do together.
They recognized the facility right away from Emily's birthday party. You can refresh your memory here. ( I just realized Ben is wearing the same outfit he was then, funny.) They were both so excited.
I was greeted by a front desk person who knew our last name and pronounced it right when I said Ben and Emily. The coach was really great with the kids. Everyone was given a card with their name on it and on the back was a set of criteria of exercises they had to meet before advancing to the next class in 8 weeks. Friendly, organized and efficient, unusual in this town.
They did some stretching in a circle and then started on an obstacle course of balance beam, somersaults, high bar and vault. It was so cute. I think I was smiling from ear to ear just watching and laughing. They were adorable and having so much fun.
Ben did really well and only needed to be refocused a few times. There was a lot going on in the gym with several other classes and distractions, so I was impressed that he followed along so well. He also didn't even give me a glance as he tore off onto the gym floor.
Emily did awesome. She was quickly picking up each move the coach showed her. She is always a good student and this was just another example of her listening well. She looked so cute out there and a few times I saw her watching the bigger girls on the beam or doing backbends. Maybe this will be something she will want to continue even when school starts. She did tell me that she saw a big gold trophy and she wants one. I told her she needs to practice a lot and this is a good start.
David is on call this week and had to work for 30 minutes over the weekend, so he needed to flex out that time. He was able to leave work 30 minutes early and catch the last 20 minutes of the class which took place on the trampoline. I was so happy he was able to come watch them. We just sat and laughed. It's amazing how when your kids are happy, you are happy. Nothing else really matters.
This is going to be our Monday early evening activity for the next 2 months. It was a fun time for all of us. Now I'm just waiting for my two little monkeys to convert all of my sofa cushions to gym mats over the next week.
2 comments:
How fun! Love the videos and they both follow along very well. :)
We never did gymnastics but have some friends who did - they competed for many years and it's a very huge time commitment, yet they really enjoyed it.
Looks like this will be a fun weekly activity for all.
Good show. I just finished finally watching all the videos you sent ( at work) What fun and then to come home and see some more of the same. Bonus!
You are right the kids did great and I'm so glad Ben went willingly. Hey he's growing up the little man.
Love,
G.
Post a Comment