Monday, June 1, 2009

Chicken Pox

My kids will never get chicken pox. They shoot them full of a vaccine at 2 years old to prevent it. I'm not sure why. It was never really a dangerous disease, was it? Nobody died or became mentally or physically disabled from it. I've never done the research, maybe some people did. As far as I knew, you got some spots, they itched, your mom took care of you, you got a week off of school, the end.

I knew if I opted out of this particular vaccine, they probably wouldn't let my kids in preschool or elementary school. So, I'll never have to yell at them, "stop itching or you'll scar!" and I'll never need to bathe them in calamine lotion. Geez, I bet the makers of that lotion were mad when this vaccine came out.

In any case, my kids are fascinated by a book they found at the library about Arthur getting chicken pox.

While I was napping yesterday and David was on the computer, Emily gave Ben the chicken pox with an orange highlighter. Luckily, it was nothing a warm bath couldn't get rid of.

2 comments:

Linda said...

How cute! :)

Sarah had the vaccines (must have a booster at an older age for it to work apparently), for Chicken Pox as well. I think that she still had a very mild case when she was around your kids age, but not sure, since she has always had an array of skin disorders. Apparently, there are serious complications associated with Chicken Pox that some children get, so maybe that's why they now have this vaccine, I don't know.

Cute pic.

Anonymous said...

Too cute! Some kids have been known to have severe cases of chicken Pox. See if David remembers. His whole mouth and nose were packed with the little oozing sores all the way down into his throat. He was in a great deal of pain and agony for a week or so.
Alisa on the other hand was attacked on the feet and legs . It also happened to her just the week she was about to have her ballet recital. Of course she wasn't able to dance, she couldn't even stand as her feet were so painful. Neither one had a lot on their main body, just the parts I've mentioned.The only good thing was they both got it the same year. Within three weeks we were done with the pox in our family:)
I think Ben's attack looks a whole lot easier to put up with, and of course Emily escaped "unattacked" :)
Love,
G