Friday, April 3, 2009

Whose Laughing Now?

Well...me.

This is the wild west. We have tumbleweeds and lots of them.

Tumbleweeds start off as a weed, dry out, then tumble with a good wind.
The name isn't really very unique now is it?

Last week, we had some wicked winds. Several of our neighbors had tumbleweeds piled up as high as their 6 foot tall fence. We were lucky and only had about a dozen in the backyard. We have a field behind us, so we just tossed them over the wall. I felt sorry for our neighbors and in my head I thought thank God that's not us.

It's payback time.

Emily was supposed to have a bike-a-thon at her preschool today. I woke up at 5:45 to let the dogs out and the wind made me gasp. Bike-a-thon cancelled, at least for us. I'd like to see a kid peddle a bike against a 30 mph wind, or it would probably be more fun to see the wind at their back and watch them almost fly on the bike. That's mean. Anyway, we weren't going.

We were enjoying a lazy morning when I notice the patio furniture flying into the grass along with every other toy in the backyard. Then, I see the tumbleweeds flying over our 6 foot tall fence right into our backyard.



Winds are picking up this afternoon and I have a feeling we are going to spend the majority of our weekend picking these up and throwing them over the wall.

As for our plans for the day, we were supposed to go grocery shopping. But, the kids are having so much fun watching the flying tumbleweeds that we will probably stay home.


How's that for free entertainment?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG That video clip is something else. You couldn't have known they were going to come flying over just when you were shooting. How about that? Too funny. No wonder you were laughing. Thanks for sharing that experience with those of us who never experienced such a thing.
Love,
G.

pam said...

Holy crap! That video was hysterical! Don't blow away!

brownymama said...

THAT was funny! Very funny! You know where we were during these winds? The zoo!! We had promised the kids a trip to the zoo on Friday, well.... then it was windy, we tried to convince them it wouldn't be as fun. They didn't care. Might I add we were the only ones ate the zoo. (:

Linda said...

For some reason, I'm not seeing a video - just a box with an "x" :(

I love the story though and the photo of the kids looking out at the giant tumbleweeds.

Amy said...

That was pretty funny! You just don't see those out here :-)