Friday, April 17, 2009

Domesticated


My ex-husband gave me a sewing machine 15 years ago. Did you know that I was married before? So was David. It was ages ago and it's almost like it never happened. But, I do remember getting this sewing machine from my ex. I actually asked for it for Christmas.

I never used it. So, I gave it to my Stepmom Suzy. She never used. She just gave it back to me as I need to learn how to use it.

I made a hot dog pillow in 8th grade Home Ec. Usually, if something needs a button replaced, I ask David. I desperately need to learn how to work this machine. My maternity pants are hemmed with safety pins. I have about 10 items off the top of my head that could all use some help from a sewing machine. I have the owners manual and I can goggle "how to thread a sewing machine" for help. For now, I'm just going to start playing around and try to figure out where the thread coming up from the bottom of the machine is coming from.

This is my weekend project.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Go for it!!

Remember the post I wrote about the dresses and all of the other wonderful things I made - all on a free sewing machine that I received and I taught myself with a few tips from my Mom on how to read the patterns.

Have fun :-)

brownymama said...

I have anxiety attacks when I break out my sewing machine. I did a hamburger pillow in 8th grade home ech!! (: I keep saying that I want to take a sewing class but never seem to have the time... maybe after your weekend plans you could be my tutor!!

Anonymous said...

This one made me laugh for 10 minutes..You could always use the invisible tape you iron on and hem your pants that way, unless you are bound and determined to master the sewing thing..You are starting to remind me of Laura Ingals!!!Gardening, sewing, when are you going to start to make your own bread?:) Auntie Barb

Sarah said...

Yay for learning to use your machine!

And no, I did not know you were married before. What's the scoop?