We never minded if they stayed inside. However, they both had issues.
Roxie will eat anything she can get her mouth on. Read about our poor gingerbread house here and the chocolate covered cherry incident here. She also enjoys peeing on our carpet when we are not home. I think eating all that food makes her thirsty and well, you know the cycle.
Rocko doesn't pee on anything but the grass and he doesn't get into any of our food. He's only 18 months old and therefore still a bit of a pup. Which means, he'll pick up something of the kids and take a nibble. It could be a GI Joe, crayon or Emily's beloved Porky. We have to watch him and keep him occupied with things like a rawhide and kong toy. The point being, we can't leave him inside.
Roxie was the culprit doing all the digging and Rocko would just stand back and cheer her on. Then, they'd both run to freedom under the fence and wait in the front yard for me. Rocko was an outside dog, so he doesn't have an issue with being outside. We decided she was never going to be able to stay outside and he couldn't stay inside. It was time to seperate them while we were gone.
Last weekend the kids and David laid down the some cinder blocks under our fence line.
Notice Emily doing yard work in her ruby red slippers. Dorothy would be proud.
Now, we leave Rocko outside. Even though he never dug before, we didn't want to take chances since Roxie's bad influence.
We leave Roxie inside. I take her to go potty before I leave and do a thorough sweep of the house to check for food. If I have meat out thawing for dinner, I put it in the oven (it's off) just in case. I did forget about the baggie of licorice that was by the computer. She found it and devoured it. Oh well, I didn't need it.
We've had our new system going for a week and everything is working out perfectly. Of course when we come home, both dogs stay inside with us...where they belong.
4 comments:
I'm glad everything worked out!
I love the photo of Emily wearing the ruby slippers. How cute is that. I remember those same red sparkly shoes - Sarah had them and also wore them to everything. :)
Well I hope this method continues to work for you especially after I see Little Ben and Emily working so hard on the project, nevermind putting blisters on the Little Maestros hands. HMMM!
Love,
G.
Well at least when your puppies get out they stay around home, if Chief gets out he runs for the park and all the kids immediately..We of course try never to let him out by himself, but it has happened and is a pain to get him back home..I wish he too would just get out and hang around the yard , but then life would be too easy and he would rather we got our exercise chasing him..Auntie Barb
P.S. Your prison yard looks good after all that work.:)
So glad all is working out! I know that is a relief to not have to worry about another hole dug in the backyard and the dogs sitting out front! Sounds like though there will always be issues you have two pretty wonderful dogs!
Post a Comment