We charge everything. We don't live beyond our means so this is not a problem for us. We pay our balance in full every month. We don't pay an annual fee on any cards. Therefore, we don't give any of our credit card companies a single penny throughout the entire year. They make plenty off of us though.
Most people don't know that the merchant you are buying from has to pay 3-4% of your transaction to the credit card company just for letting you use the card. For instance, if you charge $10 on your Visa at Starbucks, Starbucks then pays Visa 30 cents. Merchants do this because it's proven that most people will spend more when they pay by credit versus cash. Plus, they probably just inflate prices to cover this cost anyway.
I even pay my bills on my credit card as long as it doesn't cost anything. My cable, home phone and cell phone all charge directly to the card. Why not? It's one less thing I have to worry about paying on time and I get a rebate on everything charged. So, I'm making money by paying bills with my credit card.
Every February our American Express sends out the rebate check for Costco. This year, we got $288.57. We went last night and got all this stuff.
***We did not purchase Emily at Costco. :o)
In years past, we spent the rebate on fun stuff. Little splurges for ourselves and the kids that we normally wouldn't buy. This year, we mainly went for necessity. I did get the convection toaster oven that I'd been eyeing for months. I hate heating up the oven just to make croutons. Yes, I make my own croutons. Old bread + butter, olive oil, garlic and Parmesan = super yummy toppings for your salad. Much better than anything you'll buy in the store and you don't throw out the last few pieces of bread that start to get hard. I digress....
Our splurges were the toaster oven, cutting boards and a container of chocolate covered caramel macadamia nuts. Wow, are those delicious. Since David's recent pay cuts, we decided to spend the rest on things we need like toilet paper, paper towels, veggies, fruit, spaghetti and bug spray. In another effort to cut back, we've decided to spray our own home this year to forgo the $30 fee every month. We'll see how that goes.
We also ended up with over $60 on a gift card that we didn't spend. We need new home phones, so I think we will buy those with that.
I also had over 11,000 points on my Visa. We use this as a backup when places won't take American Express. I decided to request a $100 Home Depot gift card before the company goes bankrupt and I lose all my points. We made a trip there and got new shelves for our desk area and we have over half of it left which we will use for gardening supplies in the next month or so.
In the past week, we got almost $400 from our credit card companies and we've personally never given them a penny. Feels like free money!
3 comments:
You guys are smart cookies! My parents do it this way too. I don't know why we don't! We might just have to! How fun to shop on money you would not have otherwise had! I had a Costco shopping trip today but it all came out of my bank account. Bummer!
Glad this works well for you. I just don't like credit - I use only my debit card from my checking - so basically all cash. I've been working hard at paying off all of the credit cards that I once had and am down to just 2 to go with minimal balances. My parents never have lived on credit - they only once had a very small mortgage that they paid off quickly and that was only once in their life. I just don't like the concept of credit and will be happy when I'm done with it once and for all. :-)
Sounds to me like you need to have a career in Finance. You manage your money so well. David is lucky to have you . Math was always his weakest area of interest... So you are a saving grace in his life, I'm sure.
Love,
G
Post a Comment