Sunday, August 17, 2008

We're Ready for the 2020 Olympics

Emily had her first party celebrating the big 4 on Saturday. Her birthday is on August 30th and we are having a family party on that day. She and three other kids in our Mom group all had a birthday within 2 weeks of each other, so we lumped everybody together and had a party. We rented the gymnastics arena at the YMCA. Oh my gosh, it was a great time. The kids got to play for an hour and they had 2 instructors on hand to help us out. Then we broke for cake and a much needed drink and we all hit the floor again. They had a long trampoline, balance beam, uneven bars, pommel horse, rope swing, rings and an obstacle course. It was a blast. David and I were the only "adults" who tried any of it. I did the rings a few times and some somersaults on the uneven bars. David and I both did the rope swing. I wonder why none of the other adults would do it? Maybe we looked foolish. I don't really care though. I wonder at what age I will see stuff like this and not want to (or be able to) participate. I hope never.

I'm posting mainly videos because the kids were moving too fast for my camera in most of the shots. I think we need to get a better camera and Emily can have our current camera to pursue her passion for photography. I couldn't decide which videos I like the best, so I'm posting almost all of them!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a super fun party! Can't wait to celebrate with you in a few weeks and see it all LIVE!

Linda said...

What fun this is! :-) A great place to have a party. I love the videos and the cake looks wonderful. Have to tell you though ~ I was never a gymnastics girl. Couldn't even do a cartwheel, even when I was Sarah's age and the uneven bars scared me in high school! But I admire those who can do these things and enjoy them.

Anonymous said...

I can tell you with some certainty that there will come a time when you too will just watch and say to yourself I wish I could still run and play like that..I think it hit me when I had Grandkids. They moved way to fast for me to keep up with altho I did try for a few years!!! Now I am content to just sit by the sidelines and keep my eyes on them to make sure they don't get hurt..The party does look like fun. Now for impatience...well I can not say for sure if one ever loses that, but our speeded up world must make it hard for kids born now to understand what we had to endure in order to get anything done..Imagine a world without computers for example, I am still young enough to remember the good old days when you could work all day and do about 1/20th of what you do in a day with a computer, same with many modern conveniences like the camera etc..My kids still refer to my stories of my childhood as" when they brought the covered wagons across the prairies" with amusement I am sure. We really knew what it meant to wait in those days. Love ya..Auntie Barb