Friday, December 3, 2010

Soak Up Some Sun

For the past few weeks, it's been cold here, highs barely in the 30's with wind and overnight lows in the teens. For this Phoenix born and raised girl, that's freezing, literally. My toes have been cold for two weeks. I haven't taken off socks except to change them before bed.

Yesterday was a tough day with all the kids having colds and Em staying home from school. Karate was out for the day and we couldn't go anywhere. I was feeling run down and tired. The shoulders of my shirt were covered in Noah's snot. And I started making up funny nicknames for the kids like Baby Booger Boy and Snot Monster. I was starting to lose my mind.

Their noses might be running and they may be coughing, but their energy level is just fine. About 1:30, Emily suggested we go outside. I told them to have fun. I was taking a bath in hand sanitizer at the moment. She walked out and said something about how warm it felt.

My ears perked up. Did she say warm? I had to check it out for myself. And I'll be damned if she wasn't right. 100% right. It was 66. No wind. Glorious. The kids and I sat outside for over 2 hours and played. Well, they played. I played a little, took pictures and read a book. And I may or may not have broke out in a John Denver song.

They made mud pies.

And Ben looked handsome as Buzz Lightyear.

They played on the swings for awhile. Ben is finally getting the hang of it.

And Noah enjoyed the swings too. He's usually not so found of swinging. But Emily told me, "you just have to gobble up his feet and he likes it." And that he does. Look at his poor read cheeks though.

And in the middle of soaking up all this sun, the kids wanted popsicles. And I just happen to have a couple. Yes they were freezer burned a little, but they didn't seem to mind.

David always says that I have a harder job than he does staying home with the kids. And the majority of the time, he's right. But today, well today I felt a little guilty. But only for a second, then I took off my socks and let my toes thaw out and thanked my lucky stars that I wasn't in an office listening to Muzak. I was enjoying a good book with my kids giggling as background noise. Does it get any better?

I didn't need Calgon or even a margarita.
We all just needed a sick day...
and some sunshine.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Very well written and cute :)

Fresh air and sunshine does do wonders. Finally, this morning, on my drive into work, it wasn't just all brown & grey, but the sun was rising over the fields and it's actually a beautiful day. Course' no such thing as 66 here in Illinois in December (or rarely) - more like it's 27 out right now, going up to a high of 34 and our first measurable snow is on the horizon for tonight and tomorrow.... but, for us sunshine and 30s is glorious at this time of year. I'll take it.

(I still need the margarita though)