Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Eve

We always go to my Dad and Suzy's in Phoenix for Christmas Eve.

My mother in law bought Emily a new Christmas dress. I love when she buys these dresses that have a matching one for a doll. So cute, even if the doll looks a little possessed.

Ben wanted to dress up too, so he wore his shirt and clip on tie. When we got to my Dad and Suzy's he wanted to pose for me. So, we had a little photo shoot.


Ok, he's seriously cracking me up here.

So, I tried to get Emily to play along too and let me get some photos.




She gave me one pose and a few candids while she was walking away and then she went to play in the pool. Whatever.
Noah wouldn't pose for me either.

Then, the kids did some square dancing.

Then, Ben wanted to pose for me when we went inside.
What cracks me up about this picture is that his hand is in the spiderman web spinning pose. He's always a superhero.

It was torture for the kids. All these presents under the tree and they had to wait and wait to open them.
All that patience finally paid off and it was a frenzy of boxes and wrapping paper for awhile.

And this little man was loving his new toys.

But presents and toys aside, I'm very blessed that I get to spend the day with all of my family. My Mom and Dad divorced shortly after I finished high school. My Dad married Suzy.

And Suzy loves all of us and welcomes us in her home. And that includes my Mom and my crazy brother and even crazier sister.

It even includes my Mom's family...this is my cousin Mark...my Moms sister's son.

Not too many wives want an ex-wife (and her extended family) in their home for the holidays. And not to many ex-wives want to be in their ex-husband and wife's home for the holidays. But, it's not like that. Everyone truly gets along so well. We laugh and have fun and it makes it so much easier on all of us kids. Nobody has to dash out the door after dinner to get to the other parent's home. And we can all just hang out for the day and enjoy each other's company.

And that's really what the holidays are all about...
being with family.

2 comments:

Linda said...

This is GREAT! :) Loved the photos. But no way ever, do I want to spend Christmas with Sarah's Dad and his wife. We do come together for an occasional Birthday for Sarah, but that's more than enough for me LOL!! :D

Anonymous said...

You are right Gina, family is everything, to me, to your dad, and to your mom. 18 years ago, it was your mom and I who chose to be the adults in this situation for the sake of "our children and grandchildren" and try to work out the holidays, and we became very close. We actually respect and love each other very much. Strange? No, just because two people decide they don't want to be married anymore doesn't mean either one of them are bad people. Your dad is super and your mom is precious, and I don't think I'm a bad person either. We all three love you kids and grandkids and we do what we do because we want to, not have to. Thank You for our beautiful grandchildren..we did have fun Christmas Eve, didn't we? Love you bunches..Suzy