Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A New Day

Yesterday was one of those days. David and I just weren't gelling from the get go. We were both tired and cranky. Well, at least I was. I spent the day having little temper tantrums in front of my kids. I don't recommend it. Although, I guess it's good for them to see me lose it every once in a while. And it's good for them to see their Dad and I have a little spat and kiss and make up after. It's what people do and I hope they learn how to resolve conflicts and pull themselves out of a funk from their parents.

I've been on a cleaning spree this week. There were moments throughout the day yesterday and the day before that I had to just stop and grab the camera and remember the moment.

Like when I was vacuuming the dog hair off the tile (which then needs to be swept and swiffered and mopped, it's a process) and Noah was crawling all over our 2900 square foot home following me. I looked down the hallway and he was crawling out of his room and this is what I saw:

I don't know how tall our ceilings are 12 feet maybe, but he looks so tiny.

Then, he stopped to cry and chew on his fingers. He has a runny nose, fever, feels nauseous and he's teething. Oh vey.


We got another monsoon storm. They just keep coming, so that mowing the lawn is nearly impossible. The kids think it's fun to go out with their umbrellas.

And if it makes this boy smile like this, then he can do whatever he wants.


Noah is Irish, Italian and Mexican and he is stubborn as all get out. Why couldn't we have some sweet blood, like Dutch or Swedish or something mixed in there to round us out? He wasn't happy with anything yesterday. So, Emily told me to give him to her and she would calm him down.

And she did.


And can I just tell you how much I seriously love that girl. When Mama was having a little breakdown yesterday, she came over and gave me a hug. Then, we had a conversation that went something like this:
Emily: What's the matter Mama? (she calls me mama)
Me: Oh, your dad and I are just not getting along great this morning. He hates his work and they keep taking money away from him and we are tired.
Emily: So, why can't he get new work?
Me: It's not that easy. (as in, our local paper has 26 listings under help wanted and since he can't drive a truck and won't be a hostess at Chili's there isn't much left)
Emily: Well, if he needs money, he can have whats in my piggy bank.

And I just melted. She's awesome. So I just smothered her with kisses and told her everything will be fine. Because it will be.

Then, I got outside and mowed the lawn for the first time in over 5 years. When I was single, I mowed and weed whacked and hedge hogged everything in my front and back yard. When I met David, he started doing all that stuff. And I was thrilled. But, since we hadn't gotten rain in almost 24 hours, I thought I should seize the moment before the billowy clouds opened up again.

And can I just say, that I miss it. I was sweaty and dirty and covered in grass and it felt great.


And now I'll end with a little video clip of my little guy. I don't know if he will be a drummer or a dancer or a singer. But, he does a little of all three in this video. At least I know he will have great taste, he's jamming out to Coldplay.

1 comment:

Linda said...

This was so fun to read!! I laughed out loud at the picture of your foot with the grass on it... anytime you want to fly in and do ours, be my guest, lol. I'm thankful we haven't had real rain in, I don't know, a month or more now and that our grass is like straw. It doesn't die, it just goes dormant and that's fine with me, because it's meant no mowing.

We did have a brief rainstorm yesterday afternoon and the back yard weeds are growing, so I may have to mow them though.

Hope you have a great remainder of the week and weekend,
Linda