Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Around Our House

It was that time of month again. Time to make more pasta sauce. Once a month, we buy the huge can of crushed tomatoes from Costco and we whip up a batch of very yummy sauce loosely based on my Grandmother's recipe. She's from Italy, so you know it's good. I say loosely based because no matter how much I try to follow the recipe, it never tastes just like hers. Probably because she doesn't use a recipe. Anyway, this huge pot of sauce is then frozen into 4 containers and we have pasta once a week, usually on Wednesday nights because that's when I have my housewife.

With the sauce and sausage has to be some homemade meatballs. Again, my Nana's recipe, but it never tastes the same. In any case, I don't mind adding the ingredients to my Kitchenaid mixer. I don't mind frying them. What I mind is raw meat in my hands. When I was little and we didn't have a Kitchenaid mixer...

***I interrupt this story to bring you another story...we didn't have a Kitchenaid mixer because there was no such thing as the web. Since there was no web, there was no Pioneer Woman. Without the Pioneer Woman, I wouldn't have a kitchenaid mixer now. She gives one away every once in awhile just for fun. And I won one. And I won $250 to chefs.com on her site too and got some Cuisnart pans that will probably last until my baby is in college. So, even though over 25,000 people enter, someone has to win. And that someone was me twice last year, so it could be you too. So go to her web site today because she's giving away a kitchenaid mixer. Then, you won't have to squish up the meat with your hands again. ***

We resume this story already in progress...
I used to squish all of the stuff up with my hands and roll the meatballs out for my Mom. I thought it was fun.

I decided it was time for my little sous chef to get her hands dirty.




She was very enthusiastic at first. She made 3 different sized meatballs and said she was done. She thought the meat felt "yucky" in her hands.

My sous chef quit on me.
*********************
Noah is learning a lot of things lately from his brother. Most importantly, how to be engrossed in watching TV.

*********************
It finally happened. Noah got his first real injury. He's had some bumps and bruises, but nothing that ever drew blood.

He had a spoon in his hand and he decided to pull up to standing using the door of the dishwasher. What is it with babies and the dishwasher? He slipped and his nose got the brunt of it. And there it was, real blood dripping all over.

And that folks is about as exciting as my day gets.
And I love it.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Very cute :) And okay, you inspired me to try again on the Pioneer Woman site, though I've tried many times and never won anything. I honestly wouldn't even know what to do with all of those attachments, but I wouldn't mind trying to figure it out.