Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ben: The Brave And The Bold

I love the summer here in Prescott Valley. It gets warm during the day, but you are always guaranteed a pleasant evening. And people flock outside after dinner to soak up the last remaining rays before the sun sets.

We are some of those people.



We always check the garden when we go outside. We found two gigantic cucumbers which I didn't even know were growing. We planted them, but thought the squash choked them out. We are getting bowls full of tomatoes every few days and raspberries too. Our strawberry plants, well, they need some help.


Ben posed for a little photo shoot.

Here he is as claw man.






I think this means he's had enough of my picture taking.

As you can see, Ben is still going strong with his superhero obsession. It's been over a year now. Our friend gave Ben a Joker figure that was in his happy meal and we looked it up and saw all 8 Batman toys that they are currently giving away. Ben says he is making a collection of Batman and he wanted all of them.

There is only one problem. We don't eat at McDonalds (unless we are on a roadtrip). Even if we did, I'm not going back once a week for 2 months to get all the toys. Then, I'd have to buy Emily a happy meal too and I'd get one of those carmel coffee drinks and I'd end up spending $100 for 8 little toys. Today while we were out running a few errands, I decided to call McDonalds. Did you know you can call 1-800-goog411 for free info on your cell? It's provided by Google and they even connect you for free. Anyway, I spoke to an awesome lady who actually helped me. She went through all their boxes and pulled out the 7 toys we needed to complete Ben's collection. Did you know that you can just buy the toys? Yep, $1.50 each. Much better than the $3.49 for each happy meal.

When we pulled up, we had a conversation that went like this:
Me: Do you know where we are? (Golden arches in plain view)
Ben: No
Me: McDonalds. Do you know what they sell here?
Ben: No
Me: Food and Batman toys!
Ben: Cool!
Me: Do you want to get a happy meal too?
Ben: What's a happy meal?
Me: Fries and a burger or chicken nuggets.
Ben: No, I just want the toys.

So, we spent $11.00 and got the rest of the set to Batman: The Brave And The Bold.
And Ben was thrilled.
This is his thrilled expression.

And he will play with them for weeks and sleep with them too.


It doesn't take much to make Ben happy.

He's a sweet boy who often under estimates himself. He will flat out tell you "I can't" do something even if he's never tried it.

He's been swimming all summer with floaties on. We have to hold Noah because our lame clubhouse community pool won't allow any toys in the pool. Not even a floatie tube for an infant. They suck. So between holding Noah and having to keep an eye on Emily (this is her first summer of swimming on her own), we just kept putting floaties on Ben so we wouldn't have to worry about him.

We decided to take them off and see what he could do. He started crying saying he needs his floaties and he'll drown without them.

His very first try, he made it the width of the pool without David's help.

He does a mean doggy paddle.
I'm so proud of him.
He's braver than any superhero.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I love this. So well told and great photos as always!

Way to go, Ben!!! That's awesome.

And I had no idea McDonalds sold just the toys - think of the money I could have saved during those early years, lol.

Oh by the way, our lame local public pool doesn't allow ANY flotation devices either, not even for children. No fun noodles (except for the women who do water aerobics - one time, Sarah and Ashlee "stole" one of the noodles when they weren't looking and used it for a few minutes until the life guard blew the whistle - they're good at that there, blowing the whistle.) Not to mention, the fact that our local public pool is CLOSED already - even before Labor Day (because they employ high school students for the life guard positions). Anyway - need I say more. For all of those reasons and more, we love our own pool, where we don't have those silly rules and we stay opened as long as the weather is hot - which is normally until at least the end of September/beginning of October.

Anonymous said...

Yeah!Way to go Ben!. Grampie and I are so proud of you,Ben. You made it all the way across the pool all alone. And you are only 4. Wow!I think your daddy was at least 5 or 6 before he could do that, and he turned into an amazing swimmer, just like you will be .
I love the fact that Ben even let you take more than one picture of him before he disappeared right in front of your eyes. I guess the acquisition of the whole collection helped the cause. ☺ That is great that you were bold enuf to ask for the toy only and found out you could actually get them w/out the happy meal included.Who would ever have thought there was a kid out there who would not want the happy meal to go along with the superhero of the day. Good thinking,Mom. ☼
Love,
G.