Monday, August 30, 2010

She Rocks Our World

Emily turns 6 today.

I don't know where the past 6 years went.

Just yesterday we were doing this:



And now we are doing this:



Emily came into the world right on time, on her due date. I love that she was punctual. That's my girl. Oh she tested us in the beginning. She didn't want to sleep and spit up all the time everywhere. I brought her to work with me when she was 4 weeks old. I had a pack and play in my office and I'd strap her to me in a sling and take inventory. She was up for anything and still is.

And even though she is always ready to explore the world, she likes to come home. Much to my surprise on our vacation to Idaho, she was the first to say she missed our home. She feels the most comfortable here. She thrives in other settings, but her roots are here with us, with our family.

She is loving and sweet, especially with Noah.


And she always makes Ben laugh.



She'll play Batman with Ben and blocks with Noah. She is nurturing and mature for her age. When I go in our bedroom to workout on the treadmill, she holds down the fort for me. She entertains Noah and gets Ben snacks. I could leave her in charge of them for hours and everything would be fine (not that I ever would). She's kind and helpful.

A few weeks ago, David had a furlough day on a Friday. Emily was in school. We ran a few errands with the boys. It felt strange to not have her with us. Our family isn't complete without our girl.

She inspires me to be a better Mom and a better woman. Martina McBride has a song called "In My Daughter's Eyes" and I remember listening to it before I had a daughter and thinking it was a great song. Then, I had a daughter and the lyrics took on a whole new meaning.
In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes
My sweet brown eyed girl means everything to me.
Happy Birthday Em. You're simply wonderful.

2 comments:

Linda said...

☼ Happy Birthday, Emily!! ☼ I hope you have a wonderful day!! :o)

Gina, I love that song too ~ from the time I first heard it, I immediately thought of my daughter and as I sing along, can never fully make it through all of the words without crying.

6 years do indeed go by so fast. Emily is a remarkable girl for sure and hope she's blessed with a fantastic new year of life.

pam said...

Happy birthday, Emily Rose! So fun to see you this weekend and celebrate the big number 6! Hugs and kisses!