Monday, August 9, 2010

A New Year

Now that I have a school aged child, I realize that the year doesn't really begin on January 1st. A new year starts the 2nd week in August.

Today was the beginning of a new year. First Grade!
She picked out her own outfit, brushed her teeth and even ate breakfast. My kids are not breakfast eaters. They like breakfast, but about 2 hours after they get up. But, she ate a bowl of cereal today without complaining and let me fix her hair with only a few mumbles about how I was hurting her. And she was ready to go.



She was excited and didn't seem to be nervous. I walked her to her class and she found her seat and started working on her coloring page. I made introductions with the other girls at the table. There turned out to be more girls than I originally thought as many had gender neutral names like Jordan and Ikea.

She wasn't sad, clingy or really even shy.


And I didn't get teary eyed at all. I was so excited for this day. I missed it last year because I was in the hospital. So, today I was thrilled to be here for my girl and take her to school. It was a good day.

Now, the house is quiet. Emily is my wild child. Ben is completely mellow. He's on the computer next to me playing games with headphones on. Noah is sleeping. Ben's preschool doesn't start until after Labor Day. So, I'll hang out with my boys for the day and enjoy the quiet.

It feels good to get back into the groove of school.

3 comments:

Linda said...

You're so right - all Moms know that the year starts in August (or September, depending on when school begins). :)

Sarah and I are not breakfast eaters either. I never ate breakfast all throughout school and neither does Sarah. I know, yikes - but that's how it is at our house.

Emily looks sooo cute in the photos and you can see her enthusiasm for the first day. :)

You'll see quite a contrast when (if) you see Sarah's first day of high school photos.

I am never ready for the new school year and dread it - every single year, especially since Junior High, because it means my return to stress. Constant nagging to make sure assignments are done, etc., It takes me about a good month until I'm finally into the groove of the school year....

Anonymous said...

Emily looks so excited and so grown up. Imagine 1st grade already. She isn't even 6 yet. Gosh I wish I could have seen her yesterday. I can't begin to imagine how proud you were of her. I just hope she does as well this year as she did last year. Lots of homework for Mom and Dad,I suspect.
Good Luck Emily in 1st grade. By the time Noah is ready for school you'll be a big 4th grader.☺
Love,
G

Piper said...

We've still got a few weeks--school starts after Labor Day here--but it will be our very first as my oldest will be going to kindergarten. He's very excited but still insisting that I and his little brother will get to come with him :p When I explain that we can't come, he will quite seriously tell me that its been a long time since I went to kindergarten and perhaps I don't remember how it works anymore (my kid is calling me old!!!). Once he gets to school, though, and sees all the other kids, he'll forget about us in no time ;)