Thursday, July 22, 2010

Here Comes The Tooth Fairy

We went to Stacy's house today for an ice cream playdate. The kids made some crafts while the homemade ice cream did it's thing.


Then, they had ice cream with all sorts of yummy toppings.
Then, they had a rice krispy treat because homemade ice cream just wasn't enough sweets for one playdate.

Emily was eating her rice krispy treat. They weren't the chewy homemade ones. They were the packaged ones, so they are a little firmer. And the next thing you know, she is spitting her tooth into her hand. She said she thought it was a nut. Good thing she didn't swallow it.


I was so happy for her. Happy that the tooth didn't hang on with every fiber of it's being and twist and turn and be a complete pain. I hate those type of teeth. I'm glad her first one was quick and easy and painless. I'm also thrilled that I was there when it happened. I was afraid it would happen at school in the cafeteria and she'd want to be excited and happy and then the kid next to her would say, "big deal, I've lost 3 teeth already" and her little thunder would be stolen.

My kids are a bit freaked out about fictional characters coming in their room at night. We had to reassure them 100 times that Santa just drops the gifts off and hops on his sled. No time for going in their room to check on them. That and the fact that she is a light sleeper meant that I've told her that we leave the tooth for the Tooth Fairy on the island in the kitchen. She does not, I repeat, does not go into their rooms. They like that.

We weren't prepared with a tooth fairy pillow and all that stuff, so we are improvising. We used the ring bearer pillow from my Aunt Rosie's wedding 2 years ago and I tied on the tooth in one of those little ziploc baggies that extra buttons come in. It works perfectly and she's held the pillow about 20 times already today.
Her tooth is the off white dot at the bottom center of the pillow.

One of my friends is loaning me some glitter, so we can decorate the table with fairy dust after The Tooth Fairy visits. And, I rarely carry cash, so she may end up with $5 but I'll make sure she knows it's because it's the first tooth and extra special.

What's the going rate for teeth these days anyway?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did $5 dollars for each of our kids first teeth then a $1 after that. Hope that helps.
Diana

Linda said...

The tooth fairy spent a fortune at our house - at least $5 a tooth and sometimes $10 if they didn't have change.

Sarah was one of those early teethers - lost all of her baby teeth early and had a full set of permanent teeth early. Thankfully, she still has no cavities at age 14 (15 this December) but we do have our 6-month checkup on Monday... so we'll see. Yesterday she told me that she feels this bump way in the back of her gum where her teeth end and I said "Oh, no - wisdom teeth" My 4 never fully came in and had to be removed, though it wasn't a big deal for me like it is for some... so hopefully that continues for her too.

Well, there I go leaving a super long comment again. Oh well - that's me. :)

Glad Emily lost her tooth and she looks so cute.

pam said...

I know this is about a tooth, but can I just say - I love those big, brown eyes and her pretty smile! So fun talking to her today and listening to her giggle with anticipation about the tooth fairy. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight! Love ya!