Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Around Our House

It's been hot here. Really hot and humid too. So, we've been trying to find things to do indoors.

I looked into a martial arts class for the kids. Emily went to a birthday party at a martial arts studio in January and she loved it. I asked her if she'd rather take karate or tap class. She said karate. Really? Oh well, makes it easier on me if they both want to do the same thing. I found a taekwondo studio and they took a free class this week.

They had a blast. Unfortunately, it's $60 per kid per month and the class is only once a week for 30 minutes. Basically, $1/minute for both of them. I think David may have gone into the wrong line of work. Too rich for our blood. So we are trying another studio today for free. It's only $30 per kid per month and the class is an hour. And if they want to come twice a week, they can for free. Much better, but of course there is a wait list. Oh well, they'll have fun today and we'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, Grammie Gwynne and Grampie Enrique sent Ben a new Spiderman costume. Just in time because the hole in his other one had spread to include his bottom and other parts. I'm going to put the holey costume in hiding and hope he doesn't notice/care that it's missing since he has a new one.


David and Noah are practicing the "backbreaker" wrestling move. Boys.

Do you notice the folding table behind David in that picture? That's because our little monkey is crawling all over the place. We had a Little Tikes picnic table there for the kids but Noah was getting into everything. So, we put this heavy duty folding table there and that's where the kids have to keep any and all craft and school stuff. Because if there is a tiny piece of paper on the floor, Noah will find it, put it in his mouth, choke and then puke. I know this because it's happened. Twice. Oh all right, three times. I'm learning. We didn't have this problem the first time around.

And do you think he cares? No, I'd say he looks rather proud of himself.



This isn't a great picture, I just like the monsoon clouds through the window. Now, it just needs to rain so it can cool off.


I thought Noah crawling would help him get tired and nap easier, but it seems to have done the opposite. He's too interested in exploring and is refusing to nap. By refusing I mean, he'll scream in his crib for hours instead of sleeping. I think he'll give in, but he's stubborn. I don't know where he gets that from.

Here he is cruising around the house.


And I took the kids to the dentist today. The state offers crappy insurance or great insurance at 10 times the cost. We take the crappy insurance since nobody is in need of a lot of work at this time. However the crappy insurance means that my kids couldn't be seen by any dentist in our area. Either they aren't accepting new patients or they only take kids when they turn 6. Two years ago, we drove down to Phoenix (over an hour each way) to see a dentist. David and I found someone up here to see us last year, and only recently did our crappy insurance add a new dentist in town who will see my children. A small victory for crappy insurance.

We spent 2 1/2 hours there today. They specialize in dentures and there was nothing for a kid to do in that waiting room, but watch TV which was showing reruns of Marcus Welby M.D. That show started airing in 1969. I would've given my left pinky to have them turn on Barney after an hour. I was starting to think a trip down to Phoenix wasn't such a bad thing when they called us back. Luckily, the staff and doctor were all very nice. And the doctor was probably born during the 7 year run of Marcus Welby M.D., so at least he was friendly with the kids.

It was Ben's first visit. He was choking a bit on the x-rays. The lady would tell him what she was going to do and he'd ask her, "Are you going to try to choke me again?" I had to laugh.


Emily was a little easier.


They both had no cavities and after digging through the treasure box for a
piece of junk toy, they had forgotten all about the last 2 1/2 hours.

But I hadn't and I scheduled our next appointment for MLK day when David will be off and he can take the kids. I volunteer to stay home with the baby.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Here it rains (like today) and only gets more hot and humid. Our summer humidity level runs around 100% all of the time. It's unbearable at times, even for me. :P

Glad the dentist went well. We're lucky because we've had the same dentist since we lived here - so 14 years - and he's great with kids - every 6 months they would get a photo with the dentist or hygenist and those are displayed in books and they always get their photo on the next visit.

Anyway, Sarah said my fb comments are too long so....

Cute photos!

pam said...

So great to see Noah moving around - what an absolute cutie pie! Glad you're staying cool - or at least trying to. Love ya!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have been waiting all week to see Noah crawling. The interesting thing is that I see you posted it on Wednesday and it didn't show up here till last night . Even though I checked several times during the day yesterday, it was not showing up. Oh well as you might say, I digress. Loved all the pics of my little man crawling and being such a part of the gang of kids and super heros hanging out at your place, these days. You are such a good mommy and keep the kids busy with fun things to do. Anyway thanks for the pics and now I see Noah also likes the C.C. cookies.You'll have to make double batches. That's "Great"
Love,
G