500 posts in 2 years.
This post is about why I love Idaho.
I remember when my Dad and Suzy first bought the cabin in Idaho in 2002. They got a good deal on a run down cabin with 180 feet of river front property. It was going to be their new summer house and project for several years. I have visited almost every summer, with the exceptions being when I was too pregnant and we were moving.
And what I have is a lot of memories.
Memories of when I visited the first year with my Aunt Rosie. Both of us were single ladies. We stayed up late laughing and slept in every morning. We took the paddle boat out for a spin until our legs were aching and our belly's ached even more from laughing.
The next summer, I took my fiancee. We stayed up late doing other things (sorry Dad) and slept in. We jogged along the country road training for a half marathon. David swam the width of the river while I followed in the jet ski.
The next visit, I brought my husband and daughter. It was her first plane ride.
Then, we brought Ben. It was his first plane ride.
Then, Noah came along. It was his first plane ride.
Things have changed. We go to bed early and wake up for middle of the night feedings. David and I don't even sleep together now. We each take a kid. We don't go for a jog or swim across the river. We play frisbee with the kids. We enjoy watching them enjoy life.
The peacefulness and happiness remain the same.



Grandma Suzy is always there...ready to hold a sleeping baby on the boat, make something yummy for dinner and take the kids for a tractor ride.

And Papa is always there....to show his grandchildren how to drive a boat, play on a jet ski or just to make them laugh.

Everybody dreams of growing up and coming back to visit their childhood home. We sold my childhood home when I started high school.
David and I have lived in three houses with our kids. We know that they are much too young to remember the first two. And we hope to stay in our current home until they all finish high school, but, who knows. And then what? We will probably downsize or move to some beach town. And they won't be able to come home from college and visit their childhood home.
But that's okay.
I realized as we were driving down the road to get to the cabin in Idaho, that I was so excited for what the coming week held. Excited for the peace that awaited and the fun memories we would make as a family. I feel so comfortable in this house. I know it so well that I don't need to ask where the cups are or what drawer the silverware is in.
I was excited because we were going home.
4 comments:
Happy 500th post! Very sweet. Made me smile. Love you guys!
This makes me cry.
It's so beautifully shared.
Also, I had to go and see how many posts I have and noticed that I have 550, so my 500th came and went. Time flies. While you were so beautifully sharing about your love for your Dad's home and how comfortable you feel there, etc., I was thinking about the fact that my house is 10 years old this year. Rantoul is the only town that Sarah has ever known as home though we've lived in a few places here. Though our house is small, it's charming and yesterday Ashlee said "I like your house" and that's how I felt too - it's where the memories have been made.
Anyway - Congrats on your 500th!
A nice tribute to your dad and suzy. I love the collages. It is hard to remember from year to year the changes that have occurred. Pete and Suzy, David and Gina still look just as good as they did way back BC... (before children). It's nice that you have that feeling about Idaho. Now I'll wait to see what you write once you've had a winter visit. (Hint Hint)
Thanks for all the hard work and for sharing it with us.☼
Love,
G
Well daughter dear, my face is sopping wet now looking at all those pics of the kids year after year, growing with each visit. It was a wonderful time this year knowing the older they get, the more they enjoy and will remember it. You do a great job on the blog, and making the books every year will be priceless to the kids one day. I cherish the few pics I have of my childhood as all we had was a "Brownie Camera" in those days. Love all of you very much!
G-ma Suzy
Post a Comment