Noah is getting 4 teeth at once. Two molars on the bottom and two of the canine teeth on top. He's been a little out of sorts this weekend. He was running a slight fever due to the teething and was not happy.
Friday night he was screaming in his crib. It was 3 in the morning and I was tired. I got Noah and brought him in bed with me. David went to sleep on the sofa. I had read somewhere that being held by a parent is better than medicine when a baby is sick. So that's what I did.
I had on a big scoopneck t-shirt and I put him right on top of me. His head rested on my bare chest. I could tell he was instantly soothed. I realized that I hadn't held him quite like this since we did kangaroo care in the NICU.
Kangaroo care is skin on skin contact. You take off your shirt and bra and wear a hospital gown with the opening in the front. The baby lays on your bare skin. Hearing your heartbeat and being warmed by your body helps babies thrive.
I layed with Noah on me for over three hours. If I tried to roll him to the side, he would wake up and cry. So I just held him. I rubbed his head which was right under my chin and his toes were at my knees. When did he grow so much? A year ago, he was like a tiny kitten. Now, he was the length of half my body, which isn't exactly hard as I'm only 63 inches. Time is going by too quickly. I soaked up my alone time with my baby boy. And I thrived. Maybe kangaroo care is just as much for the parent as it is for the baby.
I found my mojo in my son at 4 AM. Who knew? It's always the last place you look. I realized that the things I do everyday aren't chores. I'm taking care of my family, the people I love the most in this world, and that is never a chore.
Noah was content to lay like this all weekend taking turns between David and I. David is laying on Noah's pillow pet. Maybe I should get him one for Christmas.
And then last night, tough love had to set in. Noah got used to sleeping on us in just two days. He liked it and he wanted to keep doing it. I let him scream for over an hour. I went in to check on him to make sure he wasn't wet or stuck in his crib. And when I left he yelled, "Mama". It was the first time he ever called me Mama and I felt horrible that I couldn't go in and just love on him.
But, I held my ground and let him cry it out.
Mama with all her mojo is stubborn.
He finally fell asleep and so did I.
I am back in the groove.
2 comments:
Wonderfully written and I'm glad to see you're back! :)
It's tough when little ones are in pain - tougher still when they don't like to be held (Sarah generally hated snuggling, even as a baby). So, I'm glad that worked for you. Your thankfulness for the things that really matter in life, is inspiring.
Oh Gina, to paraphrase what Linda said , YOU BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES. I am glad things are back to normal. Somehow or other the absence of a houseguest may have added to the return to normalcy. Poor little Noah, I'm sure it's hard for you guys when he is not feeling like King of the Castle as he obviously wasn't this weekend.But, glad you were able to be firm with him on Sunday night. Look at your reward,"mama".
Hope this week is going better than last.☼
Love,
G.
Post a Comment