Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Big Day and A Big Storm

Yesterday David's Dad flew in from Orlando for a visit. I was busy cleaning the house for his arrival. I can't clean anything beforehand because with 3 kids, the house is messy as soon as it's clean. I have to clean the day of.

We've been hit with several storms the past few days. While Arizona always welcomes the rain (we've been in drought mode for, well forever), too much rain at one time is never a good thing. This is what it looked like for the majority of the day yesterday and today too. That isn't snow, it's hail.


While I was busy cleaning and the heavens were busy dropping their goodness, something miraculous happened. Noah fell asleep.

Right there in the middle of the living room floor. While this might not be a big deal for most babies, it's a big deal for our babies. They fall asleep in their carseat in the car or in their crib, and on rare occasion they might fall asleep in our arms. I remember the first time each of them crashed out on the sofa and in Noah's case, I'll remember that Barney put him to sleep on our living room floor.

David left to get his Dad from the airport in Phoenix. He got there at 3:22. Enrique's flight was delayed, so they didn't leave the airport for 2 hours. During that time Phoenix got pounded and I mean pounded by one of the worst storms. Powerlines were down on the highways. Underpasses on the highways were flooded. 70 mph winds took down roof after roof. Golf ball size hail damaged cars and broke windows. David and his Dad sat in traffic that wasn't moving for over an hour. It took almost 7 hours to do a trip that would normally take no more than 3 1/2.

I kept the kids up a little later than normal because I knew David wanted to see them before he went to bed. And after the afternoon he had, he deserved it. I was relieved to see them walk through the door.

The next few days will be very busy. We are leaving on Saturday for this:

Mission Beach, California
Highs in the mid 70's.
Lows in the 60's.
100 feet to the ocean, 200 feet to the bay
And best of all...abundant sunshine!

***Before any stalkers get an idea to try to find out where we live so they can rob our house while we are gone, my Mom is coming up on Friday to spend the week at our home with our ferocious golden retriever. Good luck getting by those two!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Quite a storm!! Nothing like that here ~ we're still enjoying a very, very long stretch of sunshine and gorgeous days. Of course, I see the temps here are back in the lovely low 80s on the weekend but where we're going (to the wedding) it will be at least 25 degrees cooler than that. :P

Can't wait to read about your adventures upon your return, though I wish everyone were going to the wedding as it will likely be Sarah's last drive north with us for probably years so who knows when or if we'll all be together again. ♥

Safe travels to you and yours.
~Linda :)

amyraye said...

love san diego.
have so much fun.