Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yea Soccer! Or Maybe Not...

When I asked the kids months ago if they wanted to play soccer, they said yes and were super excited. We had a few practices to which they did okay. Ben is easily distracted. Today was our first game. They were so excited Emily was up at 6 AM. Our game was at 8:00. I couldn't believe I was up at 6:40 on a weekend, but I wasn't about to miss the first game. I almost wish I would've just slept in.

They started off positive enough. But, then other kids would take the ball. This goes against everything we ever teach our kids about sharing and taking turns, so they don't quite understand.



This is a pee wee team for 3 and 4 year olds, but the cut off was July 31st so Emily still makes it as well as the big kid on the other team in Ben's video. We have a few players on our team who have played soccer before, so they obviously were in control of the ball in the beginning. It took all of 10 minutes for Ben and Emily to get frustrated and come sit on our laps. So frustrating. I actually woke up early to listen to my kids whine and complain.

Had they stayed in the game and kept trying, the more experienced kids were sharing and passing and letting others score. But, mine gave up well before that. Emily was crying on the way out, Ben was pouting and I was doing both!

I don't want to be one of "those" parents who push and push their kids. I just want them to follow through. You said you wanted to play, so play.

We talked to them when we got home about quitting, practicing and how they will score a goal if they stick with it. They seem to get it and are on board again.

Let's hope next week is better. Or maybe I'll just add some Bailey's to my coffee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What can I say I remember this happening with my kids too.. I think it was judo or karate or something like that,so you are not alone..chin up all will turn out okay even if it seems like a drag today the sun will come out tomorrow..Get some rest! Loved the post with Noah crying, so happy he is here to do that..Music to my ears..Love Auntie Barb

Anonymous said...

Gina - From the experienced soccer mama, I'm telling you to stick with it. All it will take is them having some time kicking the ball and they will get their confidence up and start trying to control the ball. Don't get discouraged! I remember when Josh was on the 3 yr old team and he was crying because kids were not sharing with him and stealing the ball. It took a couple games before he realized the share rule is out the door on the soccer field!!!!! I too remember though having the conversation about how we are throwing away all the rules we have taught them for 3 years. They will get it though! And I hope they will like it! Stick with it and I bet in 2 more weeks it will be a totally different story. Promise!

Dak

Anonymous said...

Hi Gigi!
It is rough at first. I remember Chani's first time playing soccer, she was 4. She was not interested in the ball at all! My girl was out inthe midle of the field doing cart wheels! Another funny thing about that team, the t-shirt they gave her didn't fit her properly till she was 10 and she still wears it at age 15!!!

Miss ya!
xoxoShar

Linda said...

Wow! I'm glad we never did sports. Sarah was never interested (remember her "no team sports" motto?? lol) Yet, she has played in band now for a few years and also on the Cheerleading Squad which are indeed teams. But maybe just a little more friendly than... soccer.

Anyways - hope it gets better for you all! :)
Love, Linda