Sunday, August 23, 2009

Not What I Planned

But in a good way.

Noah has been doing great on his feeds. He is taking the entire bottle or close to it every time. They actually removed his feeding tube today. He is not attached to anything except the machine to measure his heartbeat and pulse. I can't believe it.

The nurse told David today that Noah MAY go home on Tuesday. What??? It's only been 17 days. I was planning (based on what the nurses said) to stay here another week to week and a half. Tuesday is in like 36 hours. When I got here, he was still doing well and she said if everything continues to go well, it will be Tuesday, maybe Wednesday. If he has any hangups probably Thursday or Friday. I can't believe that I might be home by this weekend.

They are doing an altitude test tonight. Basically, they put a mask on him and put some nitrogen in it to simulate the changing altitude that he would encounter driving up to Prescott. We are about 4,000 feet higher than here. If he doesn't do well, they would send him with oxygen and he would need to stay on it for a few weeks to a month until his body adjusts.

They also do a car seat test where they see how his vitals do when he is put in that position for an extended period of time. I had to bring his car seat down so they can test him in that.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but if I could be home by this weekend with a healthy baby that's ready to leave the hospital, I'd be thrilled. Emily's birthday is Sunday, so I'd love to make her a cake and try to make the day a little special for her. I was planning a big party, but that will have to wait for at least a month. I also don't want to leave the hospital too soon and have Noah relapse at home and have to come back down here and do all this over again.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers that he passes his tests and continues to thrive without his feeding tube. God willing, I'll be home by the end of the week.

5 comments:

pam said...

Such great news! I'll keep my fingers crossed for the little guy and think good thoughts! Love ya!

Lindsay said...

This is amazing!!!!! I am so glad to hear the feeding is going exceptionally well! Who would have thought!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wonderful news. That little Noah is amazing. There is one part of me that is hoping he will slow down a little and at least stay there till next weekend and let everything just be perfect before he leaves. He has done so well and so have you, but I would just like you to have a few more days to have a more leisurely pace than I know you are going to have once you get home. I know that David will be there and hopefully so will Sharon for a few more days, but I also know what a busy bee you can be and remember you are still recovering as well.
So proud of Noah! He is a real *star* for sure.
Love to the both of you,
G.

Linda said...

Continuing to pray and so glad everything is going so well. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they're doing a great job of thinking about what he'll need to go through to get home and making sure it's safe.

~Adam