Look whose in a big boy bed! This means lots of good things, mainly that Noah is able to maintain his own body temperature. One of the hurdles before going home -- check! This also means that he may actually use calories to keep himself warm so sometimes the weight gain will slow down a bit.
As of yesterday though, our boy topped the scales at 4 pounds 1 ounce. He's almost a heavy weight now. We did have one little set back. Right now, they are feeding him his formula/breastmilk and they set the timer for the feed to take 90 minutes. They need to get him down to 30 as when he starts with a bottle that's how long it will take him to drink it. They tried to go to 75 minutes yesterday and he puked all over himself. So, he's back to 90 for another day or so. They also said that they will start the bottle with just a tiny amount and still do 90% of the feed through the tube. I'm excited to actually try to put a bottle in his mouth and see what he does.
Now that our boy is out of the incubator and real light can shine on him, I've noticed that he has those bluish-gray newborn eyes. Emily and Ben were born with dark brown. There was no question what color eyes they were going to have. I'm sure they will darken up and turn brown later, but it would be interesting to have one blue eyed kid.
They've also started to expose Ben (ok, upon editing, I noticed I put the wrong name here. This has happened often and I suspect I will do it for the rest of their lives) to "cycled lighting". Light during the day and dark at night. It's so nice to be in our own room and be able to really do this. Up until now, they try to keep it as dark as possible to mimic the womb, but now they want him to get used to his days and nights. I like that!
I'm off to see the little man and get some cuddle time in. He truly is just a precious little gift.
3 comments:
Yay for the big boy bed! Isn't it so much easier to pick him up now? Bo and I picked up Brayden a lot more when he was in a regular crib. That's exactly what happened to Brayden when they tried to shorten the time. His little tummy just isn't used to holding that big amount yet. That is great they are training him for his nights and days. There was none of that at the NICU at Gateway...it was always day. :)
Hi Gina,
I was delighted to see that you had time to write some more and share more good news with us.Little Noah sounds like he is really coming along. Over 4 lbs already. I looked at your friend Holly's blog and their little man is coming along just great, so I expect by the time I get there( whenever that might be) Noah will be a whole great big armful of baby. Keep up the good work and keep giving him all our love.
Love
G and G.
This is such wonderful news!!
It used to take Sarah an hour and a half to finish a bottle. She was such a slow, poor, eater. Sort of like she is today! :)
Thanks for the positive updates.
Post a Comment