It's been a hell of a week. I know most of you have been able to keep in the loop but here is a brief rundown.
Last Thursday Aug 6, I wasn't feel good...again. We went to Emily's open house as she started Kindergarten this week. After, we went home and I laid down, but was not getting relief. My stomach just felt like a rock, my back hurt, I thought I might throw up. I thought I was in pre-term labor again. We went to the hospital. In about one hour, I'm told I'm getting Air-Evac'd to Phoenix. What? I kiss the kids and David good bye and I'm sitting there in complete shock.
This isn't how it's supposed to happen. We've had two text book pregnancies. What's going on with me? I hear the words pre-eclampsia which is swelling with high blood pressure and too much protein in my kidneys. But, now they are saying HELPP syndrome also which is a failing liver and low blood platelets which means I won't clot. I'm immediately injected with magnesium to reduce my risk of seizure. What? It's a whirlwind really.
Meanwhile, David calls my Mom who is coming up from Phoenix to be with the kids. And I'm in my second helicopter ride...much different experience from the green hills and waterfalls of Maui. I've never prayed so hard in my entire life.
I don't remember much of Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I was still on the magnesium which makes you feel flu like. They were trying to keep Noah in until Saturday to give him two doses of steroids to improve his lungs. We made it until 1:44 Saturday afternoon. That's when an emergency c-section was performed. I had to be completely put under due to the fact that my blood platelets were so low that I wasn't clotting. The risk of an epidural gone wrong was too much for us...coma, paralysis, mri...no thanks.
So, my son was born and I don't remember. In fact, I couldn't even think about him or Emily and Ben for days. I was sick. Really, really sick. The good news was that both of the conditions that I had disappear upon delivery or within 48 hours. Mine was the latter and it was a long couple of days. We thought we had turned a corner and David went home to Prescott on Sunday to get Emily ready for school. As it turned out, that corner was really another 48 hours away, but I was glad that David could be with Emily on her first day. I was also terribly upset that I missed it. I wanted to pack her lunch and fix her hair and help her pick out the perfect dress. I missed all of it.
The rest of the week has been slow and long. My blood work has been slowly reaching normal levels. I still feel week and the c-section on top of what I've been through has taken a toll. I got released from the hospital yesterday and I'm now staying at the Ronald McDonald House a mile from the hospital. A very nice place that asks only a donation. I will stay here until Noah is allowed to go home. We have friends and family here, but I want to be as close to my little man as possible.
Speaking of the little guy, he is doing really well. He's small (3lbs 14 oz), but he's totally healthy. He has no real issues other than the fact that he needs to gain some weight and learn to suck and swallow which usually comes at about 34 weeks. He's 33. So, the next week, should be full of adventures. He's adorable and sweet and so beautiful.
David and the kids are coming up tonight and I'm so excited. I miss them so much that my heart literally feels like it's breaking.
I just want to thank all of our friends and family. We felt so blessed to know that so many people were thinking about us and praying with us. The love and support is just overwhelming. Thank you!
I'm off to catch the shuttle to the hospital. Please, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll keep everyone updated as the weeks go on.
10 comments:
WOW GINA!! I am so glad you are all doing so well you really had a scary situation to endure. I am so sorry. My prayers and good thoughts will continue. If you need anything please don't hesitate to call.
Diana
OMG Gina it breaks my heart to read what happened. I am glad you and Noah are fine now but how terrifying for you to have to go throught that. My daughter Madelyn was born at 33 weeks as well and had to be in the hospital for 2 weeks while she learned to eat from a bottle. It felt like the longest two weeks of my life. I felt like I lived at the hospital!! Good Luck - I will pray everyday for you guys:)
Monica
Gina, it is truly amazing that you were able to condense all that has gone on in the past 8 days into such a concise story. Even though I knew just about all of it, you tugged at my heart again when I actually read it written by you and at the same time I know you must have had a few tears in your eyes while you tried to remember and put it all together.
Once again it makes me so happy to know you are my daughter-in-law. We love you!
Gwynne
Gina, I have not worried that much in a very long time! I'm so very thankful that you and baby Noah are doing well now and you will be home before you know it. It will seem agonizing for these few weeks, but one day you will look back and it will seem like a blink and everything was fine. You and David are awesome parents and Noah is very blessed to be part of the Galeana family! Miss ya!
Dak
Holy Cow Gina! I can't believe that happened! Thank fully little Noah is okay. I hope you take it easy. After 2 c-sections, I can tell you to TAKE IT EASY!! as much as you want to pick up Ben - Don't do it! I tore internal stitches after delivering my second, because I picked up and hugged my first. the scar tissue still bothers me, 6 years later.
RMH is a good place to be, it'll allow you to heal, while little Noah can grow. Can't wait to see more pictures on FB.
OH my dear friend. I am positive that was no easy task to write all that down. But good for others to know what you have been through in the last week. My mind has been occupied with thoughts of you and your family since I left RMH on Thursday. I am not picking up the phone to call you this weekend knowing that you need each and every moment with David and the kids. However, come Monday....it's another story. :) My heart continues to be so heavy for you, but in the midst I am so thankful for the safety, availability of care, and provisions that can been seen throughout the difficulties of this whole experience. I am beyond thankful that you have recovered from the Help Syndrome adn pre-eclampsia and are healthy again and that precious Noah is healthy and in hopefully a short amount of time will gain the weight and sucking reflexes. I love you!!!!! Linds
Gina,
You are incredible! How frightening that must have been. I am so glad you are feeling better and Noah is in good care. Sounds like he just needs some time to grow. My prayers are with you and baby Noah, and really the whole family!
Hi Gina,
This is Kari C, Krista's sis in law. Krista filled me in about all that you've been going through and I just wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. We will add you & your new little man to our prayers. We have friends that stay at the Ronald McDonald house a lot when they come to town so please let me know if you need anything. :) I hope that you are feeling better. I'm glad to hear that things are slowly returning to normal. :) Thinking of you, Kari
I'm so glad you got to have David and the kids this weekend. It was so good to see you and be with you. I told Ryan that even when we're crying I still have fun with you. It's been a rollercoaster of a week, but things will get better and better. Can't wait till Noah comes home to stay with his big happy family!
Wow, you've really been through an ordeal! Im so glad that you are getting better, and that little Noah is doing well too. I will continue to send prayers your way. Remember, do not pick up anything heavier than the baby due to the C-section. I picked up my 2 year old too soon and it really killed me with pain for a while afterwards. Just an FYI to be careful (and its hard not to pick up the little ones!)... and SOON, the family will be whole again, and healthy, back in Galeana House. Love and Hugs
Julie S.
Post a Comment