Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tax Time

I always look forward to tax time especially now that I'm married with two kids. It's like a little savings account that I can't touch all year and then BAM! I get it all at once.

I know the idea of taxes is to break even and not owe or get anything. At least that's what any accountant will tell you. But for me, an extra $300 a month would just get piddled away. I make do with what we have each month and then I always look forward to the big return.

We don't go on some grand vacation or splurge on a Wii. Instead, we will use it to pay our real estate taxes for the year. Boring. Then, we will probably just save it and use it for a little vacation this summer. It'll be nice to have a tiny cushion back in savings as it was depleted after our last trip.

I do our taxes on turbo tax and always have. I just e-filed my federal taxes today and I'm sending off the state tomorrow in the mail.

Hey, when somebody owes me money, I want it! Maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to talk my husband into that Wii!

What are you doing with your return? If you are getting one...

4 comments:

Linda said...

Not sure yet what we're doing with ours - probably save it in case we take a vacation at some point. Last year, we used part of it for the pool.

Unfortunately though Sarah lives with us full-time, we only get to claim her every other year as that's just how our agreement was. So, this is an off year.

Our Real Estate taxes are part of the escrow in the loan, so they're just always taken care of in the measley amount we pay in our mortgage payment each month.

Like you, I do enjoy receiving the return since we don't manage to save much otherwise.

Lindsay said...

Well being a last minute girl I have like 2 months before I will be filing! Between now and then I am sure we will come up with some uses for any money we get back! On my list possibly a Canon Rebel camera (I hope to get that for my birthday), maybe even a Kindle, or probably something for the new house. Hopefully it won't have to go to bills!!!

Anonymous said...

Ours goes for bills. We were able to pay off two of them with my husband working a lot of overtime and we have one left. This will help our savings go up a little more. The interest with these bills are ridiculous!
Julie S.

Amy said...

usually we get back just enough federal to pay state. But we'll see how the tank in the market effects it all. I don't start until April!