Thursday, February 12, 2009

Melted

I woke up feeling a little better today. Then, David called from work.

News about the mandatory furlough was in. He has to take one unpaid day off per pay period. The good news is he still has a job. The bad news is that if this keeps up we will qualify for food stamps soon.

I'm also happy that at least they went the route of furlough and not another pay cut. At least we get to be broke and have David home for two extra days a month. This is another hit for us. First no overtime, then a 5% pay cut, now 2 furlough days a month, we are looking at $600-$800 a month.

We'll manage of course. We'll dip into savings when we need to, at least we have that.

I told Emily the other day that we couldn't afford to buy something. Although I wish it weren't true, I think every kid needs to hear and understand that. If nothing else, we will all learn some valuable lessons from this experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Work furlough is one of the proposals our governing board is considering. It's time for Arizona residents to fight back! I don't understand this legislature, their "logic." We need to start electing people who truly care about all Arizonans and not their own wallets or their friends' wallets.

Amy said...

Bummer! but you're right, at least he still has a job. Andy's in the process of making himself indispensable through cross training. Thankfully he wasn't promoted, because if they cut back, that will be the position they cut. Scarey times.