Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Sledding

We woke up to a winter wonderland. David snapped a few pictures before the calm wore off, meaning the garbage truck hadn't driven down the street and the dogs hadn't made the snow yellow.



This is our house with Rocko standing in the street. See the satellite dish on the right side? David went outside last night with a 6 foot ladder and broom to clear the snow off so that we could get a signal. I needed to watch The Bachelor. Now, that's love!


After their daily morning walk, Roxie was inside warming her bones while Rocko posed for pictures. He was eating snow.


It was officially declared a snow day and school was canceled. David had a meeting and couldn't miss it, so he headed into work. I realized what a bummer it is to have to work, I mean seriously work. Sure, staying home with the kids is hard work, but we have fun too. Today's activity included going sledding for the first time. I was sad that David was going to miss it.

My only recollection of sledding involves going down a tube in Flagstaff when I was about 8. The snow kicked up and went down the back of my pants. I was freezing and done after that.

I got the kids dressed warmly and I put on my snow pants. They still fit. We went to a park in our neighborhood that has a decent hill.


The kids didn't understand that you have to carry your sled back up the hill!


We met up with a few of our friends and all the kids shared sleds.


This is Ben in the center going down.


It worked out great because the sleds seemed to collect at the bottom. So, I'd grab a sled, go flying down and cart them all up the hill. I don't know how many calories sledding burns, but we were all famished by the time we got home. We all had Eggo waffles and a cup of coffee!





On the way home, I asked the kids what they thought about sledding.

Ben said, "It's great."
Emily said, "It was so much fun!"

I thought so too. The only thing missing was Daddy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys make me laugh so hard , snow after all is that awful white stuff that spends 6-8 months of a year here in my backyard every year and makes me not want to venture out to play(being60) might have something to do with that..I hope you never lose your enthusiam for what we in canada call Winter (ugh)...Auntie Barb

Linda said...

So, that's why you don't like it so much Barb - 6-8 months truly? We're lucky if we have it for a month - today was nearly 70 degrees here!

I love the photos and the videos. I haven't been sledding since Sarah was probably 2 years old. Now I'm jealous. :)

Looks like so much fun.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun day! Who knows - maybe there will be snow when we come up Sunday for Ben's party!

Anonymous said...

I love that you finally got the white covering you were hoping for. The kids look like they had a ball and it seems like you did too. :)
Thanks for all the pics to go with the story of the fun filled day.
Love,
G.