David and Ben went out and played some soccer in the backyard. I think this will have to be a new weekly activity as $40 for soccer camp is going to be out. It's only an hour a day for a week anyway. Plus, Emily wanted to play too. So, this is David's new title...soccer coach. Except Emily was inside sleeping off a 102 degree fever and Ben was outside with Dad freezing. So, soccer will have to wait a month or two.
But just like that, we saved $80, well $76 because the ball cost $4.
In an attempt to be frugal and still have fun, we headed to Home Depot for the bi-monthly kid craft. Lowes also does this once a month. It's a free wood project for kids. Parents need to help or do all of it in our case. But, the kids seem to have fun and the best part is they have something to paint later.
This weeks project was a wooden trinket box. It's usually manly, like football helmet bookends. I liked this one and managed to steal an additional one on the way out. Grammie...this may end up in your mailbox one day when we get it done.
In other good news, my friend who lives around the corner needs a babysitter once a week. She has 4 kids, but 2 are in school. So, starting next Thursday, I'm watching her adorable little girl (who is 2) and her son (he's 4) will arrive via preschool carpool at noon. It's a little gig that will give us a little extra cash.
I was so excited. It seems strange that I will actually make money for the first time in 4 years.
And it couldn't have come at a better time.
3 comments:
What a wonderful blessing!
Your ideas for the kids are great as well.
Unfortunately, it isn't quite as easy amusing a 13-year-old. The expenses constantly rack up since she's involved in so much and that's just school activities.
I thought about being off on one of her upcoming school holidays and asked her what she would like to do. Of course, the response "Go to the Mall" (i.e., spend money).
Thanks for sharing the ideas! So you can just pick the activities up at Home Depot or Lowes on the day they have the classes and bring them home??? I thought you had to do it there? If so that is so great!!! Sounds like your mind is going and you all are figuring out some good inexpensive alternatives. If I hear of any others I will pass them on for sure!
babysitting is a great way to pick up a little extra money. i laugh every year when i get my social security statement. it says, you earned $0.00 this year. if you continue to earn at this rate, when you retire you will be eligible for $basically nothing. stay at home pay sucks, but the memories are priceless! wish we would get some snow so i could make some more sleding memories. looks like you all had a ball :)
kim duren
Post a Comment