Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Surgery...Again

Today, David had to go to Phoenix for work. He left early. Which meant I had to get up before the sun. Not my favorite thing. The kids were in too good of spirits for 7 A.M. I needed a second cup of coffee. Hence, the blurry photo.
Photobucket
This is Friday for the kids. A 5 day weekend awaits, and I'm excited.

But our first hurdle is Ben's surgery tomorrow on his eye. When the Doctor told us that Ben had a lazy eye, there were two concerns. First, he wasn't using his bad eye at all. This is why we've been patching everyday for the last 10 months. Secondly, his right eye turns slightly in. We needed to fix the first problem before we moved on to the second.

Tomorrow we will head to Phoenix at 6:00 in the morning, check in at 8, surgery at 9:30. It should only take about 10 minutes at that point. The Doctor will cut the muscle on the inside of his eye to let them loosen so his eye is positioned correctly. He will be put completely under and the surgery is in the same exact building at Phoenix Children's Hospital as his last surgery.

We'll have to see where Ben is after that. We may be able to give up patching and possibly glasses all together. He sees perfect out of his left eye and his right eye has gotten so much stronger. In the beginning, Ben always wanted to wear his glasses because they helped him see. He now forgets to put them on sometimes and I actually loaded him up in carpool one day before my friend noticed he didn't have his glasses on. Oops. He obviously sees well enough without his glasses to not be asking for them anymore. But, he may still need them. He may still need to patch too.

I wish he didn't have to go through this again. But, it is what it is. The Doctor claims he will have some soreness and a red spot on his eye for a bit. Kind of like if you've ever scratched your eye with your fingernail. Nothing major. But, still...

Once we get through tomorrow's hurdle, it will be nothing but smooth sailing from there. We are doing Thanksgiving here at our house for just us. Then, we get to break out the Christmas decorations! The kids love decorating for Christmas.

Please keep Ben in your thoughts and prayers tomorrow. My little man is such a trooper.

4 comments:

Linda said...

I will definitely be praying for Ben!

As I mentioned before, our family is no stranger to this because Angie had several eye surgeries by the time she was Ben's age. She's worn corrective lenses all of her life and still has a slight "lazy eye" without the glasses/contacts but it's not a big thing to have that. Doesn't seem to affect her vision. So, yes, have hope - I'm sure everything is going to go just fine, but it's always scary.

I'll be thinking of you all. And once you get past that, have an enjoyable weekend. This is my last day of the week too - yippee!! Jim has one more half day, tomorrow. Sarah is off after today as well.

It's going to be a quiet Thanksgiving at our house with Sarah away at her Dad's, but yes, decorating will take place and also Sarah will return by Saturday afternoon for marching with the band in the Parade of LIghts.

Love, Linda

pam said...

Please give me a jingle after. I'll be thinking about you guys tomorrow. Hugs and kisses to Benjamin!

Holly and Bo said...

I will be thinking about Ben today and hoping everything goes as smooth as possible. ~Holly

Anonymous said...

Little known fact: I went through this surgery a couple of times when I was little - have hope!

Thinking of you today....he is so lucky to have such a good mom.

Allison