Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Get Out The Shotgun

Emily has been mentioning a boy at preschool named Cody. At the Christmas program, I had my friend Dakri point out who he was. Dakri had to stay in the classroom every day for almost a month to help her daughter, Alanah, because she was in a cast. So, Dakri figured out a lot of the ins and outs that us parents usually don't know. The good news was Cody was one of the nicest and kindest boys in the class. Not a surprise, a girl always looks for a boy like her Dad.

When I asked Emily what she did at school on any given day, I always get the same reply.

"I don't know."

It's rather frustrating as she has a memory like an elephant. She is just choosing not to tell me. I always have flash forward to her teenage years at these moments and pray for help with those years. Yes, it's 10 years away, but just think of all the prayers I'll have racked up by then!

Dakri called me the other day to tell me that her and Alanah were talking about preschool over lunch. Alanah informed her that Emily is Cody's girlfriend.

What? What? What?

Me: "Emily did Cody ask you to be his girlfriend?"
Emily: "Yes."
Me: "What did he say?"
Emily: "I don't know."
Me: "Did he say, Emily will you be my girlfriend?"
Emily: "No, he said Emily be my girlfriend."
Me: "What did you say?"
Emily: "I shook my head."

And, it's official. She has her first boyfriend at 4.
Maybe we should seriously think about getting a shotgun.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Yep, better get the gun ready, lol. It's funny because Sarah has never easily told me about her school days either, not even in the early grades. She is just very closed mouth when I pick her up from school. Sometimes she'd even snap at me to quit asking questions because she just wanted to be quiet! So, I've learned to ask briefly and then just let it be. Sometimes she surprises me and is unusually chatty and tells me everything. I figure that's better than nothing.

As for the boys, most of Sarah's earliest friends were boys, yet she never called them boyfriends, lol.

Now she can't wait to date, but we don't believe in that until she's at least 15 or 16, and so, much to her dismay, she still has a few years to go.

Amy said...

It starts early! Amanda had a boy call her twice over Thanksgiving break, and she giggled and talked while twirling her hair. Umm...she's five! God help us!

Anonymous said...

Im so happy we're not the only ones! My 8 yr old had 6 boyfriends in preschool, 5 in kindergarten, 1 or 2 in 1st grade and she's had the same boyfriend for the past two years (they broke up over summer and she felt that he liked another girl... but got back together when school resumed). Ive been keeping my eye on her......
Julie S.

Amy said...

UPDATE: Amanda got a call from Max(5) again yesterday, and I listened in on the other phone...I could hear his mom in the background yelling for him to stop playing with the phone, and he ended the call with "I gotta run, I love you, bye"
I'm horrified!