Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Out to Lunch

Everyone always says, and I believed, that dogs from an animal shelter are always the best. Somehow, they seem grateful that you rescued them. I've heard this time and time again. I've had no experience getting a dog from a shelter until Roxie.

I don't know if she was out to lunch or on a walk when talk about being grateful was passed around the shelter, but she definitely missed the memo.

Before my Aunt's party on Sunday, David had taken Roxie for 2 walks in 2 hours. He wanted to make sure her bladder was empty and she was thoroughly tired before we left.

She's had issues with peeing on our carpet. We can't put her outside because she escapes. We can't put her in a kennel as that experience cost $100 at the vet. She's also been known to get destructive in the house. The gingerbread house, going through trash and knocking over chairs are examples of her bad behavior.

The good news is she did not pee on our carpet while we were gone.

The bad news is she ate 4 presents.

Well, she nibbled on 3 boxes until she found what she was looking for.

David's chocolate covered cherries. She ate the entire box. Literally, I think she ate the entire box.

David was panicked that she would die because of the chocolate and was ready to rush her to the vet. I thought the dog will probably just go into sugar shock for a few hours and maybe get diarrhea. We were both wrong. She didn't show a single sign of downing a dozen sugar balls.

I guess life really is like a box of chocolates, at least with this dog.

You never know what you're going to get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

never a dull moment for you guys, is there? Very funny though. At least I got a good laugh out of it. Love ya!