Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Day

On the way home from my Dad's, Emily fell asleep. Ben watched Jungle Book. Ten minutes before home, Emily wakes up. Crap. This is our child with sleep issues. An hour nap at 8:30 at night is not a good idea.

We put both kids to sleep and all seems to be going well. It's about 10:15 and David and I are watching TV in our room. I think I hear Santa come. About 10:30, Emily comes in our room. Whew...she just missed Santa. She can't sleep. We put her back in her room. She comes back into our room. Finally, I go into her room alone. At least one of us (me) can get some sleep. David said she didn't fall asleep until after 1:00.

Sometime in the shuffle she managed to see the presents under the tree that Santa left. It's a good thing he wrapped everything. I imagine she spent hours awake that night wondering what Santa had left her.

David was up early, like always. The rest of us were up within 10 minutes of each other.

Here's Ben when he saw all the presents for the first time.


Emily tearing into her first present.


Ben ripping open a truck.


Ben got a new game from Grammie for his new VTech.


Emily looks cute here, but what I love is Ben's tushie in the background. He's looking for more presents for himself. Um, he can't read.


The unwrapping was done in 30 minutes. Now came the hard part. The disassembling of all of those gifts. Here's my arsenal. I was armed and ready with AAA, AA, C and D batteries. A razor. Scissors. Wire cutters. And, Mr. 7 hands which is 7 screwdrivers in one, an essential Christmas tool.


It took 6 hours. Yes, 6! To unclip, unwind, put batteries in, screw in, add stickers and assemble all of their toys. I almost long for the days when all they want is an Ipod. Open the box. The end.

Here's Emily in her glasses from her Doctor set.


Emily got a new Smart Cycle from Papa and Grandma Suzy. It's a video game, but you have to pedal your way through it. Look at my house in the background!


Here's Ben in a sugar coma from too many lifesavers and Reese's.


Emily got a new kid friendly camera from Papa and Grandma Suzy. She was lining up all her new dolls for their first picture.


Here's Emily and Ben playing doctor.


Emily giving Ben a shot in his mouth!


After all was said and done, I was ready for a shot in my mouth, of vodka! :o)

It was a long, exhausting day. Nobody got out of their pajamas. The house was a complete mess. David made a delicious pork roast dinner. The kids played the entire day. They were ridiculously happy.

I wouldn't change a second of it.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I LOVE it. These are such fun times and you embrace and savor every moment. :-) Although you know... Santa never wraps our gifts - I imagine he gets tired and decides to leave some just as they are. That's okay with us. ;-)

Amy said...

Alex went straight to the tree, picked up the 5x7 box and said, thank goodness Santa gave me a Nintendo DS. The day's of twisty tied action figures are over!

Anonymous said...

Two fingers of vodka, right! :)