Thursday, December 18, 2008

Skip The Lecture

I was standing in the line at Starbuck's (in Safeway) today to get a few gift cards for Emily's teachers. The kids were in one of those shopping carts that have the little cars on the front, basically a mini bus for any Mom who has to steer it around. The kids like these carts, so I make my way through the store, taking out a few end caps here and there, to make them happy.

I parked the cart/car/bus about 5 feet from me as I didn't want to be in anybody's way while I waited in line. Of course, it is by a table that has some Starbuck's merchandies on it. Ben reaches for it.

"Ben, get back in the car."

He doesn't listen and goes for the ceramic mug.

"Benjamin, don't touch the mug and get back in the car."

This is when the man in front of me decided to give me some unsolicited advice.

"You should be grateful your children are healthy and not scold them."

I, being a healthy child who was raised with manners, simply said, "You're right. I am blessed."

What I wanted to say was:
"Listen here old man, I'm grateful every day for my healthy, spoiled rotten children. Just because I am blessed doesn't mean I shouldn't discipline my children when they are doing something they shouldn't. It's my job as a good parent to teach my healthy children right from wrong."

Because they are healthy, I should just never reprimand them?
Just let my two year old play with a bunch of ceramic mugs until he breaks them?

Maybe next time we are in line and you butt your nose where it doesn't belong, my healthy child will tell you to "mind your own business old man." But, if I raise them right, hopefully, they will just grin and say "Merry Christmas."

Here are a few pictures of my healthy spoiled children in the bath:

4 comments:

Linda said...

I agree with you and you're a wonderful Mom!

My only other thought is that we never know what other people are going through at the time. This man might have a sick or dying child or Grandchild or have just lost someone dear to him. He should not have lectured you, but I know that I have said some really stupid things over my life (even to strangers) when I was feeling less than well.

You handled this situation wonderfully! :-)

brownymama said...

You gotta love all the old people with their words of wisdom here. I was talking about that with a friend just 30 minutes ago. An old man had upset her today. We should remember to only say, "You're children are beautiful". I like those people. (:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics. Emily looks like she has a little booboo under her eye. She wasn't scrapping with the new boyfriend I hope. :)
Probably that elderly gentleman was just venting his frustration for some other situation in his life. Sounded like he wished he had two such gorgeous grandkids. You are the one responsible as their parent to make sure they grow up to follow the rules( all the rules) whether they are only yours or not.
I'll post some pics soon .
Love
G.G.

Sarah said...

You have some wise commenters. I agree with them all.

The funny thing is, if you had not repremanded your son, someone likely would have said something negative about you letting him do whatever he wants. Sometimes you can't win. You handled it well.